PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] kde3 or gnome apps take black background in kde4 systray

i_lukas_podolski
June 29th, 2008, 09:10 PM
I have been an ubuntu user for a while now, but am new to KDE4.

In using the kde4 system tray icons for kde3 apps such as network manager, or GNOME apps like pidgin, I find that they take a black background rather than the kde4 theme that I am running. Is there a way to solve this so they take the kde4 theme as background? Or are there native kde4 plasmoids that can be added to systray that do the same job?

ProbablyX
June 30th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I have this problem too with KDE3/Gnome apps. For IM I use Kopete (which is "KDE's pidgin") it works fine with the tray - it's installable by "aptitude install kopete-kde4".

i_lukas_podolski
June 30th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I tried kopete. But the "ugliness coefficient" seems to be higher with kopete. It pops up large rectangular blurbs for incoming chats that seem to occupy the entire height of the screen if there is more than one message coming in. And I had to individually click each one of them and make them disappear to continue with my work.

If there is some fix for the theme, or some kde4 plasmoids that will substitute these apps and solve the background issue that would be great :)

ProbablyX
July 2nd, 2008, 08:32 PM
Maybe not the best solution, but in Kopete:
Settings -> Behaviour
"Open messages directly"
Then second tab "Actions" tick "Animate system tray"
"Treat all chats on the current desktop like active chats"

That should remove the constant gray popups :) Hopefully :D

i_lukas_podolski
July 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
I tried Kopete, but unfortunately it does not connect to google chat because of missing "qca-tls" when I tried to install that package, apt-get tells me that it is already present.

Besides, Kopete for KDE4 also took the black background :(