PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Wireless Security Question

jeremy1138
June 29th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I have a Linksys wireless router on which I have enabled MAC filtering to secure my network. I'm not using any kind of WEP key or anything like that. With my network set up in this manner, is there any way that someone could gain access to my network wirelessly? I really don't want to enable WEP or WPA because I just find that it's a pain to deal with but I will if I have to. I've thought all along that the way that I have things set up is secure so I never really worried about it until someone mentioned that MAC filtering wasn't secure in another post. They didn't bother to give any details but it made me think. Should I Worry about this or am I fine the way things are? Thanks in advance for your help!

untermensch
June 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
MAC filter is tough to get around, I doubt you have anybody in your neighborhood that is that determined to get onto your network. However, It would not be a bad idea to go ahead and put WEP or WPA (infact.. forget WEP just WPA). especially if you have the WRT54G router. It's pretty simple.

Krydahl
June 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, you should worry.

It's relatively easy to spoof a MAC address. All someone has to do is snoop on your network to see which MAC addresses are being used then copy them.

If your router supports it, use WPA.

Pjotr123
June 29th, 2008, 09:09 PM
MAC-filter is easy to break by spoofing. Useless. Go for WPA or WPA2. If possible: with AES only, not TKIP.

jeremy1138
June 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
MAC filter is tough to get around, I doubt you have anybody in your neighborhood that is that determined to get onto your network. However, It would not be a bad idea to go ahead and put WEP or WPA (infact.. forget WEP just WPA). especially if you have the WRT54G router. It's pretty simple.

Ok the router that I have is the WRT54G. What would be the best way to secure this keeping in mind that I have multiple users with laptops that run Windows XP and Ubuntu that connect wirelessly. I also have my XBOX 360 connected to this router as well but it is connected with an ethernet cable. Thanks for the responses!

untermensch
June 30th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Use WPA or WPA2, don't even think about WEP.

As far as your multiple users are concerned it won't matter. As long as you right down the key and give it to them when needed, they'll have everything they need. As far as your xbox is concerned it wont need any changes. All the router will do is protect your wireless (the idea being that the person you're trying to keep out is not sitting in the room with a cat5 cable plugged into your router, and at that point, your biggest problem will be locking your doors, not your wireless internet) Do you know how to change those settings on your router? I have the same one if you need help. And make sure to write down your key! and put it somewhere you can remember! (my grandmother forgot hers, was a complete pain)