PDA

View Full Version : SimpleKDE.

kagashe
October 31st, 2005, 10:20 AM
Hi,

I found this site and serched for "SimpleKDE" on this forum. When I did not find anything I am posting it here:
SimpleKDE (http://www.simplekde.org/); a lightweight, clean and user-friendly desktop environment based on KDE.
Here is Overview from the site:

What is SimpleKDE?

SimpleKDE is a GNU/GPL licensed, lightweight desktop environment for UNIX and UNIX based operating systems like Linux, FreeBSD, and OpenSolaris. Shortly it provides a graphical user interface on top of UNIX shells. SimpleKDE is not written from scratch; in fact, it is a fork of well known, powerful desktop environment KDE. SimpleKDE, inherits the powerful features of its ancestor, but provides a more usable and faster environment. The project is currently maintained by Turkix Foundation; all other KDE developers , fans are welcome to join the development. SimpleKDE is in no way a competitor to KDE, but an unofficial, complementary sub-project, that shares its codebase with the community, according to GNU/GPL.

Goals

* Providing a less bloated, less featured but more usable fork of KDE
* Providing an easier Control Center
* Making speed improvements by dropping unnecessary features
* Optimizing KDE for higher performance
* Being more responsive to patches/improvements coming from the KDE community
* Sharing our improvements with KDE community

SimpleKDE aims to join...

* The strength and user-friendliness of KDE
* The simplicity and usability of Gnome
* The responsiveness of Xfce

By turkixROOT at 2005-05-10 04:33

kagashe

nsa_767
October 31st, 2005, 11:31 AM
This looks promising... I'd love to see a slimmed down KDE that's as fast as XFCE, but that goal sound a tad bit ambitious.

Kuolio
October 31st, 2005, 11:48 AM
This would be great :O

imagine
October 31st, 2005, 10:13 PM
Very nice. Maybe this can lure me away from Gnome some day.

TravisNewman
November 1st, 2005, 12:02 AM
sweet. Very nice.

Now we need a lightweight Gnome (which is pretty easy, without even recompiling anything... just load the needed components)

My favorite part of this: Konqui is gone from the logout dialog.

xequence
November 1st, 2005, 12:06 AM
Looks promising... I think they had a KDE light also. It wasnt made from KDE though.

Id like a gnome light that ran exactly like the real one, but faster ;)

For the next few days (or longer) ill be using windowmaker ;)

LorenzoD
November 1st, 2005, 12:46 AM
I wish I could get KDE with a spatial file manager and KMozilla instead of Konqueror..