PDA

View Full Version : Fairly good HP soon, or Lenovo Thinkpad later

T2manner
June 29th, 2008, 06:02 PM
i'm saving up my money this summer to buy a laptop.
by the end of the summer i should have enough for a fairly good HP laptop. [AMD Turion 64 XD Mobile technology, 2gig+ ram, 160gig+ hdd, etc].

but, i could wait a few months and save up more and buy a good Lenovo Thinkpad.

which would be better?

toupeiro
June 29th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Until you get into the real high end realm, Lenovo has more bang for the buck. I think you should wait and get the lenovo

zmjjmz
June 29th, 2008, 06:52 PM
Thinkpad.

Jay_Bee
June 29th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Definitely Lenovo.
I own a HP and hard disk and optical drive broke in less then a year. And now it has new problems and I will send it to repair. I know it's a hit or miss thing but I would never buy a HP notebook again.

LaRoza
June 29th, 2008, 10:39 PM
i'm saving up my money this summer to buy a laptop.
by the end of the summer i should have enough for a fairly good HP laptop. [AMD Turion 64 XD Mobile technology, 2gig+ ram, 160gig+ hdd, etc].

but, i could wait a few months and save up more and buy a good Lenovo Thinkpad.

which would be better?

I would get a Thinkpad.

You might want to check out the soon to be released versions :-)

zachtib
June 30th, 2008, 12:57 AM
I would get a Thinkpad.

You might want to check out the soon to be released versions :-)

I was about to comment on that... Lenovo is ditching Nvidia for ATI in the next revision (Which is why I bought my T61p now, instead of waiting for the new revision) So if you want well supported discrete graphics on your Thinkpad, you might want to act soon.

T2manner
June 30th, 2008, 01:17 AM
where can i find the "soon to be released versions"?

LookTJ
June 30th, 2008, 01:57 AM
I was about to comment on that... Lenovo is ditching Nvidia for ATI in the next revision (Which is why I bought my T61p now, instead of waiting for the new revision) So if you want well supported discrete graphics on your Thinkpad, you might want to act soon.
I thought AMD's new ATI cards have better support than the older ATI cards. I'm saying that because I've googled and was wondering about that and open specs.

zachtib
June 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM
I thought AMD's new ATI cards have better support than the older ATI cards. I'm saying that because I've googled and was wondering about that and open specs.

From what I've heard, it doesn't seem like anything has come from that. I don't even know if the specs have been released yet.

T2manner
June 30th, 2008, 02:01 AM
is ATI not supported that well?

LookTJ
June 30th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Some cards have support, but just to be safe, get a laptop with an nVidia card.

LaRoza
June 30th, 2008, 02:36 AM

..but...I use Intel :-)

Lenovo offers Thinkpads with Linux (SUSE), so get one of those when in doubt.

zachtib
June 30th, 2008, 02:39 AM

In my experience, no, I switched to Nvidia a few years back because of ATI's horrible Linux drivers. I don't know if this has changed recently, but Nvidia works great, so I've had no reason to give ATI another chance.

starcannon
June 30th, 2008, 02:40 AM
I'd look at the Dell's in the Ubuntu area as well:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/linux_3x?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

Have fun shopping, lucky dawg, I love buying new computers, or better still, building them.

T2manner
June 30th, 2008, 03:23 AM
well i've decided on the laptop i want
and i think all the drivers are Intel :]
soo it should all work out of the box, right?

I'd look at the Dell's in the Ubuntu area as well:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Have fun shopping, lucky dawg, I love buying new computers, or better still, building them.

yeah.. well i don't really want a Dell.
i've heard a lot of people have problems with them, and if i'm correct, they had a major lawsuit filed against them for fraud in their computers.

starcannon
June 30th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Cool that you found the one that you like best.

The dell lawsuit, /shrug, I don't know, I heard it was for their credit purchase practices, I pay cash so I don't care about that stuff.

Problems will occur with any computer depending on who's behind the keyboard, I have both the 1420n with the X3100 and the 1420n with Nvidia 8400m GS, both excellent machines with no problems; the intel X3100 video card sucks for wine or cedega gaming (intel problem not dell), but other than that its a very good setup.

I'm not a brand loyalist though, I'm currently typing away on an HP dv2600 se lol.

Enjoy your new computer, I still envy you getting to get one. I love the sound of styrofoam squeaking off of a brand new laptop shell :)