PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Launch applications on a specific desktop

christophe.agostini
June 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Hello there !

A few weeks ago I finally forsake Windows and switch to Ubuntu. Everything is just perfect, I'm so happy about this move ! Of course I had some problems but with the help of this forum and a book about how to use shell everything went fine. :guitar:

However I have a quick question : Is it possible to start an application directly on a specific desk? Let me explain: I add "transmission bittorent client" to the ubuntu sessions preference in order to make it launch when I log in. But I would like to make it start in my second desktop, not the main one.

I searched a lot before but I didn't find anything, maybe I didn't the right keywords... Anyway, thanks a lot for your reading and your help :KS

pauper
July 19th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Install either "wmctrl" or "devilspie".

sudo apt-get install wmctrl
man wmctrl

sdennie
July 19th, 2008, 11:55 PM
If you are running compiz, you can do this. First, get ccsm:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Then, go to System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effects->Place Windows (it will be towards the bottom). In the Fixed Window tab, click new and for the text area type, "class=Transmission" and then select the viewport you want the app to appear on.

AzizLight
November 19th, 2008, 06:04 PM
If you are running compiz, you can do this. First, get ccsm:

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Then, go to System->Preferences->Advanced Desktop Effects->Place Windows (it will be towards the bottom). In the Fixed Window tab, click new and for the text area type, "class=Transmission" and then select the viewport you want the app to appear on.

Thank you!