PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Problem Dual Booting after update

S3TH88
June 29th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Hello, I'm pretty new to ubuntu, and linux in general. I decided to install it on my laptop this summer to see what it was like. I decided to dual boot with Windows Vista (which I already had on my laptop). The installation went fine and for a while I had Vista and Hardy Heron working nicely together.

For the last month I've been less ambitious in learning about ubuntu and have been using Vista mostly. Today I decided to boot up the Ubuntu partition and saw that I had a bunch of updates to install. After they were installed it prompted me to restart and when I did my Windows choice was gone from the GRUB menu. I can't figure out how to boot into windows again.

I'm sure the files are still there because in Ubuntu, under "places", there is a drive called "OS" that has all the files on my Vista partition. This still works and I can find all my files, but is there any way to actually run windows again?

Any ideas? I'm not sure what you need to know to help, so just ask if you need me to post any more specific details.

Pumalite
June 29th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Edit menu.lst and below the automagic line add:
title Vista
root (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader +1

S3TH88
June 29th, 2008, 05:38 PM
That did the trick! Thank you very much.

Pumalite
June 29th, 2008, 05:49 PM
You are welcome. Good luck.