PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I reformat my compact flash

doughoist
June 29th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I have a compact flash card that I want to erase. I have thrown all the items in the trash and emptied it but my HP printer still reads the pic from the flash. Is there a secure delete or a reformat in Ubuntu somewhere? I do not want to have to use the command line for something that should be built in to the system in my opinion. I am a nube so I have no real clue about the terminal and really do not want to.

I am completely fascinated with Ubuntu so far. It is really quite compelling and I built a very inexpensive system just to use it. I first tried it on my blackbook with virtualization software and the changed to a dual boot setup. Now I have a desktop system built from scratch that Ubuntu works very well on.

Help has always been easy to get through a google search but seem to have hit a wall with this question.

jkzubu
June 29th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Try using the partition editor. System>Partition Editor. Partition editor is available in the repo if you need it.

J Kaz

ArtechnikA
November 3rd, 2008, 01:27 PM
Try using the partition editor. System>Partition Editor.

I presume you mean System>Administration>Partition Editor

Tried that - only the 'real' drives show up there - not the mounted CF drive. I can see the drive, I can inquire its properties - but gparted doesn't.

Once I get there, how do I set the device size? I'm trying this in (presumptively newer) Linux because XP is limiting my 32GB CF to 8GB. How do I access the full 32GB ?

thanks