PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Setting MTU permanently so it works after suspend

con
June 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM
I need to have my mtu set at 1440 to be able to use my internet connection. I can do this with the commands;

sudo ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1440
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

I have the first command set as a start up command so networking works when I first boot my computer, but when I resume from sleep I have to run the two commands again.

I think on earlier versions of Debian/Ubuntu the file /etc/network/interfaces could be edited to set the mtu but all I have in that file is the following two lines.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

chewearn
June 30th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I need to have my mtu set at 1440 to be able to use my internet connection. I can do this with the commands;

sudo ifconfig wlan0 mtu 1440
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

I have the first command set as a start up command so networking works when I first boot my computer, but when I resume from sleep I have to run the two commands again.

I think on earlier versions of Debian/Ubuntu the file /etc/network/interfaces could be edited to set the mtu but all I have in that file is the following two lines.

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

I believe the /etc/network/interfaces configuration can still be used, except you have to first disable the networkmanager (nm-applet).

superprash2003
June 30th, 2008, 12:49 PM
hope this helps http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-change-mtu-values-in-linux.html

con
June 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I'm using knetworkmanager to connect to my wi-fi network, I guess I could use kwlan instead and then the instructions superprash2003 has given would work. I'm thinking I might try to find a way to run the two commands to change the mtu settings automatically after resuming from suspend before I try kwlan.

con
June 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I've tried to put a script with the two commands into /etc/acpi/resume.d but I can't get them to run after I resume. When I run sudo sh /etc/acpi/resume.d/92-change_mtu.sh it works alright. I don't really know anything about scripting so maybe its a permissions problem or something.

I tried the instructions on this page but no joy either.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=585039&highlight=%2Fetc%2Facpi%2Fresume.d

con
July 1st, 2008, 06:53 PM
I have the permissions set up on the script correctly and the script works when I execute it manually but it still doesn't want to work after a resume, any ideas?

neel148
March 11th, 2011, 11:56 AM
For me application like Evolution mail, youtube-dl, PUBKEY etc. dont work and I checked the MTU to be 1472. At my work environment the MTU is 1500 and there all these applications work. Is the problem just with the MTU? and would changing that make all of them work for me?

I am just being a bit cautious so that changing it doesnít disrupt my present scenario!

Also I havenít understood how to change the MTU permanently. at /etc/network/interfaces the following two lines are written:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

What do I change now?