PDA

View Full Version : Rootkit worm now spreading via AIM

Brunellus
October 31st, 2005, 06:15 AM
Pass this along to any of your friends still running AIM on Windows: according to slashdot, a new, and very nasty worm (http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/10/31/0120251&from=rss) has begun propagating itself through the AIM networks. It carries with it a rather effective rootkit, bypassing security systems

Gaim users on Windows (like me, for when I'm at the Win2k machine at work) should be immune, as of course should all of us kwa-ubuntu (I totally just made that word up).

Nice to read stories like this and think--"not my problem, really" but, in the spirit of ubuntu, now is a good time to protect your fellow net denizens, and/or maybe convince them that a switch to a more sensible OS is in order.

poptones
October 31st, 2005, 06:48 AM
"cute ubuntu?"

nsa_767
October 31st, 2005, 04:19 PM
kwa-ubuntu

Nice word, it sounds African.... If the "kwa"-sound is a tounge click it might very well be some Xhosa word... LOL

Brunellus
October 31st, 2005, 04:29 PM
I'm trying to find some sort of way to say "people of ubuntu" or maybe "people with ubuntu". the kwa- prefix is Zulu, but from what I can work out, it has a place-from-which meaning.

Any Zulu speakers out thee want to help me out?

Kvark
October 31st, 2005, 05:10 PM
That kwa- prefix is not understandable to english speaking people unless you explain it to each person you mention it to. It's probably easier to use something like "Ubuntians" when speaking english then to explain what kwa means all the time.

Oh, and a worm that takes over the whole friggin system by exploiting a lousy chat program ...thats just crazy!

Brunellus
October 31st, 2005, 05:22 PM
yeah, but kwaUbuntu is just cooler.

Master Shake
October 31st, 2005, 06:55 PM
Ubunitarians?

poptones
October 31st, 2005, 09:35 PM
"kwa ubuntu" sounds like an anime fan talking about "ubuntugirl" or something.

Brunellus
October 31st, 2005, 10:21 PM
"kwa ubuntu" sounds like an anime fan talking about "ubuntugirl" or something.
only a matter of time before there's an ubuntubgirl

xaque
October 31st, 2005, 10:37 PM
only a matter of time before there's an ubuntubgirl

there already is. see here. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_OS-tans#Ubuntu-tan)