PDA

View Full Version : i am going to try write a e-book any suggestions

cmay
June 29th, 2008, 01:16 AM
hi.
i am going to try write a free e-book about all the free alternatives
there is to commercial software. i am looking for some more facts
since i am inspired by a book i once read before actually trying linux.
i dont renember the book name but it was about a unix system .
there was a lot of examples on common usage and some historical facts
and there was also more deeply explained why stuff works and
even some source codes for some of the programs in the system.
the book was not not a programming manual however.
i wanna write a book for free download on my own homepage that as a start just will be a single pdf document.
i will only write it in danish as a start.
maybe if it shapes well it could be an open book. or something like that.
i have a girlfreind that is a writer so i have help to do this properly .
i just need some more information than i already have found to start up.
i hope i can help others by doing this.

to be honest i feel like i am the only linux user in denmark
many do not know any one that actually knows that there is a operative system that is not commercial.
i have so many visitors in my home asking what linux is.
its questions like is linux a browser like firefox
or just what is linux ? is that a program or what. i want to spend a little more than a year to do this project.
so if any one got some suggestions and links
then i would be very happy.

thanks for the time.

fatality_uk
June 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I think on the bigger questions like, what is Linux, there are plenty of sites out there which give history, background and information you can use, just make sure to credit them in your book.

As for you being the only user in Denmark! Have you checked out the Ubuntu Loco Group for Denmark? Here's a couple of links

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DanishTeam
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoTeamList

In addition, look at the link in my signature. It will give you alternatives for most of the commercial applications that most people use day to day. Using this in your book could show people that is it possible to use Linux day in, day out.

cmay
July 8th, 2008, 12:54 AM
thanks.
i am very happy whit the reply.
i started writing and i do have a lot of notes from lots of unix books and web material. it will take a year or so.
i did not know of any usergroups or anything. but lately i seem to see many danish ubuntu users on this forums. i also just yeasterday found out there is a danish ubuntu forum. i may join that one since its my native language.
i will check out the links however.
thanks for the time.

TBOL3
July 8th, 2008, 12:57 AM
Hmm, I have a few relatives that came to the USA from Denmark. I'll have them translate :).

Anyway, I would recommend you start by writing several papers before you make a book. Writing them will show you the nuts and bolts of how to write a good, informative, and possibly persuasive paper.