PDA

View Full Version : Programming Environments

Sinkingships7
June 29th, 2008, 01:12 AM
The purpose of this thread is for everyone to tell us about their programming environment. Do you need things a certain way to hack? Or are you one of those people who can do it anywhere, anytime?

Please describe as much as you're willing to share. Everything from your physical environment, to your virtual environment (post screenshots). Furthermore, what kinds of things prevent you from programming well, if at all? Kids screaming? Fan's too loud? Whatever it may be, share it.

:popcorn:

tinny
June 29th, 2008, 01:56 AM
I am a Java developer, I do about 50% of my development on linux.

I use the Eclipse and Netbeans IDE's and find them absolutely fantastic!

Both these IDE's are great straight out of the box, but there are also literally 100's of plugins that enable you to add various programming aids / tools to your development enviroment.

Also I feel its worthwhile to mention maven. Maven is a software project management tool that can be used as a replacement for the ANT build tool. However Maven does more than just manage your build, it can also be used to manage a software projects dependency, reporting and documentation needs.

http://maven.apache.org/

Maven is only really for Java developers.

LaRoza
June 29th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Three terminals with a tiling window manager (wmii)

One for editing with Vim (more than one file open), one for running and compiling and one for file management (typically, mc)

CptPicard
June 29th, 2008, 02:11 AM
I do want things "just so". Mostly I've been working in Emacs+SLIME recently, but 90% of my coding still takes place in Eclipse and Netbeans. You need to tune your IDE a little to get comfortable.

I like to mostly code at night, too. Darkness helps me focus to the screen.

The most important part is to "get into the flow". A part of that is getting your environment to flow nicely too, and that can include minutiae such as window placement on the computer desktop. I hate losing a desktop session that is "going well".

Also the loud fans are an issue for me really too. I can't stand their screaming outside my window (one of the reasons why I code at night), although sometimes there are some cute chicks there too in the middle of all those bearded dirty hippy geeks...

LaRoza
June 29th, 2008, 02:14 AM
The most important part is to "get into the flow". A part of that is getting your environment to flow nicely too, and that can include minutiae such as window placement on the computer desktop. I hate losing a desktop session that is "going well".

That is the whole point of a tiling window manager. They manage the windows so you don't have to. GNOME and KDE (and Windows and OS X) just splash them on for you to resize, move and position.

Also the loud fans are an issue for me really too. I can't stand their screaming outside my window (one of the reasons why I code at night), although sometimes there are some cute chicks there too in the middle of all those bearded dirty hippy geeks...

Speaking of loud, a fireworks display is going on full blast really close (just as I was typing this...)

What fans are these? A fan in the computer, a fan in the window, or a fan for some sort of team?

Sukarn
June 29th, 2008, 02:23 AM
What fans are these? A fan in the computer, a fan in the window, or a fan for some sort of team?

I think CptPicard meant that those 'people' are his imaginary fans.

For C/C++ I prefer to use Code::Blocks just because I started using C++ with Dev-C++ on Windows.

For C# and for Python I use Gedit with these plugins - "Embedded Terminal", "Bracket Completion", "Code Comment", "Draw Spaces", "Indent Lines".

I use monodevelop a bit for C#, but mostly its just Gedit with the above mentioned plugins.

Night time helps a lot. My productive programming has only been when I kept programming overnight. Its 7 AM here right now, and I'm visiting the forums with a morning cup of coffee. I was awake the whole night.

tinny
June 29th, 2008, 02:34 AM
I have to have coffee when im coding something tough!

My girl friend thinks im a real nerd and takes great pleasure in stopping me coding in my free time (probably a good thing).

njkt
June 29th, 2008, 02:37 AM
As a simple hobbyist I rather like to have a desk and a tv, sun light is important. As said previously I believe there needs to be a certain flow of production. The way the code goes from concepts in your mind to syntax in the terminal.

I generally like to program in some form of linux or unix. Fluxbox, eclipse, vim, aterm, apache and co.

I can't seem to stay focused and productive while working in windows.

YaroMan86
June 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM
KDevelop. Though from time to time I'll gladly just use a plain-text editor and GCC. The problem is that gdb is not what I call a great debugger. I prefer something more interactive, and KDevelop provides an excellent interactive debugger.

I am a strong developer of C/C++, using SDL. I'm cross platform, so when I port my code to Windows, I use MinGW to compile it to Windows native code and test it there. I don't use anything more than Wordpad there since I strenuously avoid using libraries that aren't available on many different operating systems. SDL is good this way, I almost never have to change a line of my SDL code when porting to Windows.

Phenax
June 29th, 2008, 06:14 AM
My programming environment right now:

For languages/compilers I use:

ICC or GCC for C/C++
Ruby 1.8.6 with IRB for Ruby
Bash for (POSIX-compliant) shell

For writing the code I use Geany usually (just started using it from gedit). I use nano for light editing. I use NetBeans or Eclipse for very large (10,000+ lines) or foreign (I didn't write it and am just beginning to learn it) code. Generally, for smaller projects, I can sit down and use anything. Syntax highlighting and other modern ammenities are convenient but optional.

I use Gnome as my desktop. For my EEEPC (which I code on often) I use xmonad to save space/resources.

I also keep a flash drive on me with mingw/ruby/bash on it for Windows as I'm often at college or at other's houses when I want or need to code something.

My physical environment, as exemplified above, and also similar to my virtual environment, does not concern me too much.

Whether it is coding Java using Eclipse in a cubicle for a business or coding assembly in Vim at my house for my own leisure -- it's not a major issue to me.

tinny
June 29th, 2008, 07:22 AM
For my EEEPC (which I code on often)

Same here!!! Is there anything these things cant do?!?!?

LaRoza
June 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM

Play DVD's?

Phenax
June 29th, 2008, 07:26 AM

It's odd to think that such a small device is a fully-functional computer. A lot of people come up to me and ask if it's a portable DVD player :)

For coding it's not bad at all. The little keyboard got in my way for the first few days, but it's not half as bad now. The weight and size makes it easy to bring anywhere, whip out, do a little coding or surfing, put away easily. I used to carry a 6lb 15.4" laptop around with me, and boy was that a drag.

Sinkingships7
June 29th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Play DVD's?

I almost fell out of my chair laughing :lolflag:

tinny
June 29th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Play DVD's?

Classic :lolflag:

I have a 19" LCD that I plug mine into regularly and it does the job just fine. Ive even had a glassfish app server running on it. Mine has 2GB RAM:guitar: which is a must if you want to do things that make no sense

Fun little machine

(External DVD drive ;))