View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless behaving weirdly

June 28th, 2008, 11:24 PM
I installed hardy a few days ago as a dual boot with vista on my Toshiba L40-17U. I have installed the wireless card driver with ndiswrapper following this howto (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=792092). When I tried to connect to my wpa-psk encrypted network using network manager I could see the network but could not connect, but if I use a manual configuration it sometimes work. I have discovered by having system monitor open while trying to connect that there is an initial burst of network activity, if I use the network (i.e. open firefox) during that burst then I will be able to use it until I restart Ubuntu, if I don't use the network during the burst the connection seems to drop.

Whats funny is that when I boot Vista The wireless network is not established automatically as it used to. When I click on the "diagnose why I cant see wireless networks" (or something like that) link then it says that the wireless capability is switched off (which it isn't). If I click that a few times it eventually gives an option to fix it, if I click on this the network connects fine.

I also notice that the wireless capability switch on the front of the laptop has no influence on the workings of the network in Ubuntu (is this normal?

Could someone please tell me why this is happening and how to fix it, I would be very grateful...

June 29th, 2008, 05:58 PM
Could it be that the connection just takes a while to establish?