PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Where did the top bar go?

I Use Dial
June 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I was trying to accomplish two things and on reboot the top bar with commands and status and everything is now gone.

I was trying to add folder sharing (which was actually giving me an error) and XDMCP remote login.

Any ideas? It wouldn't kill me to reinstall Gnome since I haven't done all that much it (fresh install).

bubba_169
June 28th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Press Alt+F2, in the dialog type 'gnome-panel' :D

I Use Dial
June 28th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Nada - didn't do anything.

bubba_169
June 28th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Do you mean the command did nothing or the dialog didn't show at all?

I Use Dial
June 28th, 2008, 10:29 PM
The command did nothing. The Run Application dialog box came up, recognized the app, but running the app did nothing.

I Use Dial
June 28th, 2008, 10:32 PM
I just ran Terminal and did sudo gnome-panel, and that got the panel up. I have set up the computer to auto login, but that function had been working fine. How do I fix this?

bubba_169
June 28th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Sorry if I dont quite understand what your asking ... you mean you want the gnome-panel to show after each login? When you have your panel open, and set up your desktop exactly how you want to see it after login, got to System->Preferences->sessions and in the session options tab click remember running apps

I Use Dial
June 28th, 2008, 10:47 PM
Alright, so it's fixed. After adding a new panel on the top I did a reboot and the old panel was back this time, so I deleted the new panel, rebooted, and the old panel was still there. Strange.

rp3
June 28th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Alright, so it's fixed. After adding a new panel on the top I did a reboot and the old panel was back this time, so I deleted the new panel, rebooted, and the old panel was still there. Strange.

I just had a similar problem, my panel was gone as well, but ALT-F2 didn't bring up the run command, so I restarted X (Ctrl-ALt-BackSpace) and started in Failsafe mode, the panels came back. So I then set things the way I wanted and saved the session.

I restarted (reboot) and tried normal Gnome, and no panels? Where is the file that the sessions info is saved? Maybe I need to clean that out and try again?

:confused:

rp3
June 28th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I just had a similar problem, my panel was gone as well, but ALT-F2 didn't bring up the run command, so I restarted X (Ctrl-ALt-BackSpace) and started in Failsafe mode, the panels came back. So I then set things the way I wanted and saved the session.

I restarted (reboot) and tried normal Gnome, and no panels? Where is the file that the sessions info is saved? Maybe I need to clean that out and try again?

:confused:

I kept messing with it and now it's back when I run full GNOME? Something happened with the graphics to where desktops effects went away, a reboot later, and turned back on it is now working as expected???

Oh wellll