PDA

View Full Version : Possible to drink too much water?

kaldor
June 28th, 2008, 09:42 PM
Hah, I just thought I'd post this. I drink a lot of water; daily about 5-8 litres. Sometimes I feel a sort of high/fuzzyness if I drink a lot. Is this normal?

-grubby
June 28th, 2008, 09:46 PM
Too much water can be a bad thing. I usually drink about 4 -6 liters a day

chucky chuckaluck
June 28th, 2008, 09:47 PM
i recall a story about some woman dying from drinking too much water on an australian game show. i also recall someone mentioning that had it been mineral water, she would have been fine.

lisati
June 28th, 2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not a doctor (I think there are one or two or more amongst the ranks of forum members) but suspect that the dizziness could be s sign of something that needs to be checked out. But then again, I could be mistaken: like I said, I'm not a doctor.

Dr Small
June 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
I thought drinking too much water was called drowning. :p

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hah, I just thought I'd post this. I drink a lot of water; daily about 5-8 litres. Sometimes I feel a sort of high/fuzzyness if I drink a lot. Is this normal?

That isn't enough to cause a problem, if you make sure you get your minerals also (especially sodium and potassium), preferably from natural sources (vegetables are good for this)

To drink too much water, you'd have to drink a lot more than that. It is possible, it is called hyponatremia, where you are too dilute.

(I am not a doctor, if you suspect medical issues, get a doctor.)

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

kaldor
June 28th, 2008, 09:50 PM
I'm not a doctor (I think there are one or two or more amongst the ranks of forum members) but suspect that the dizziness could be s sign of something that needs to be checked out. But then again, I could be mistaken: like I said, I'm not a doctor.

It's not dizziness after I drink water. It's dizziness when I've had about 6 litres in the course of a few hours =p

-grubby
June 28th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I thought drinking too much water was called drowning. :p

You can drown in a drop of water

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
You can drown in a drop of water

with a cup of water. Very few of us could actually fit in a cup of water ;)

Can+~
June 28th, 2008, 09:52 PM
Osmosis:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Osmotic_pressure_on_blood_cells_diagram.svg

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 10:02 PM
It's not dizziness after I drink water. It's dizziness when I've had about 6 litres in the course of a few hours =p

I am not a doctor, but I am a personal trainer (certified, not actually do it now). I would suggest to get some minerals in there. Nothing spectacular, just a few pieces of fruit, or some sort of mineral water or power drink.

Naturally, this advise is for a healthy body and not for ones with any sort of medical trouble.

Kingsley
June 28th, 2008, 10:12 PM
i recall a story about some woman dying from drinking too much water on an australian game show. i also recall someone mentioning that had it been mineral water, she would have been fine.
The infamous "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" radio contest.

chucky chuckaluck
June 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
The infamous "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" radio contest.

haha!

phaed
June 28th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Drinking too much water can lead to hyponatremia -- your electroylates get too diluted, the brain swells, you die. However, in order to do this, you would have to drink a lot in a short time. Maybe a gallon or more within an hour.

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Drinking too much water can lead to hyponatremia -- your electroylates get too diluted, the brain swells, you die. However, in order to do this, you would have to drink a lot in a short time. Maybe a gallon or more within an hour.

Or an athlete drinking water only (I already pointed this out and gave a link)

RebounD11
June 28th, 2008, 10:41 PM
You have to drink a lot more than a gallon in one hour (I almost drank 10 litres in a little under 3 hours, which is approximately 1 gallon/hour) ... I actually did that because of a tooth ache (holding a little water for 2-3 seconds in my mouth calmed it down for another 2 seconds, and if I'd spit the water, the tooth would hurt more) and besides a little nausea nothing spectacular happened (and I still suspect the (useless) painkillers being responsible for the nausea). [These were the last 3 hours before my dentist appointment, he had to use tranquilizers to work on me... but actually saved the tooth :D]

Besides this kind of stuff depends heavily on each persons metabolism.

lisati
June 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
I actually did that because of a tooth ache (holding a little water for 2-3 seconds in my mouth calmed it down for another 2 seconds, and if I'd spit the water, the tooth would hurt more)
<an aside>The dentist I see recommends warm salty water for this kind of treatment.. I've found it do be of some help (with or without salt) of some help for toothache. </an aside>

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
You have to drink a lot more than a gallon in one hour

Not if you are low on electrolytes.

Masoris
June 28th, 2008, 10:58 PM
How you guys know that how much of water do you drink? I have no idea about it.

zmjjmz
June 28th, 2008, 10:59 PM
You can drown in a puddle, my grandma wrote a book on it.

Redrazor39
June 29th, 2008, 12:23 AM
There was a lady who did the "Hold your wee for a wii" contest and died because she drank too much water without urinating.

As long as you use the bathroom, you should be fine ;)

heatblazer
June 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
Drinking about 8L per day and I feel great. It`s good for the kidneys and good for the hydration. We are all made of water after all,nothing to fear about :)

phaed
June 29th, 2008, 01:08 AM
The whole "8 cups per day" thing is overstated. You get water in the food you eat, especially in fruits and vegetables. People who go on the Atkins diet will notice how dehydrated they get. If you eat normally, you probably only need 5 or 6 cups per day.

UniverseA7X
June 29th, 2008, 01:18 AM
I usually drink several bottles of water a day. When I'm thirsty, I chug. :)

It's hot here with it being summer, so it's quite a bit easier to go through a five gallon jug (sorry, I don't know how much that is in liters... I'm guessing about 8-10) in a short amount of time.

Fenris_rising
June 29th, 2008, 01:24 AM
my partner was drinking water like a fish for weeks gradually it became apparent something was wrong, raging thirst, dizzy, along with a few other symptoms...........turned out she had developed insulin dependent diabetes and on top of that her thyroid had packed up. (both can be linked) almost better now though the drugs for both conditions contra indicate each other!!!!! never rains when it pours

dizee
June 29th, 2008, 01:31 AM
The whole "8 cups per day" thing is overstated. You get water in the food you eat, especially in fruits and vegetables. People who go on the Atkins diet will notice how dehydrated they get. If you eat normally, you probably only need 5 or 6 cups per day.
true. also, even though tea & coffee are diuretics, you gain more water than you lose. so they count a little bit towards it too.