PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Replacing mouse with joystick

Manolicious
June 28th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I'm starting to get RSI from the use of my mouse to the point that I can identify how far the tendons from my index and middle finger extend up my arm. I have switched from my right to my left hand long ago, but now I've got the same pain in my left arm. The trigger buttons on console controllers these days aren't helping either.

My goal is to find a mouse replacement that wold not require the repetitive pressing and holding of either my index or middle finger, and right now the closest thing I have is an old MS sidewinder joystick.

Mainly, I want to replace the mouse wheel with the throttle button on my joystick. I can no longer stand the ratcheting of the mouse wheel when scrolling. I then want to replace the left, right, and center click of the mouse with thumb buttons on the joystick, preferably the two at the top of my joystick and one button at the base. I don't mind using two hands for mouse movement as I'm rarely using the keyboard and mouse in tandem (though assigning copy-past keys to the joystick would be a big plus).

I swear windows had a gui for assigning mouse and joystick button, but alas ubuntu does not. How can I preform this button assignment?

I'm using ubuntu 7.04 fiesty.

maniacmusician
August 22nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
oops