PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xubuntu 8.04 installation problem

utab
June 28th, 2008, 07:02 PM
Dear all,

I have been desperately trying to install xubuntu 8.04 on my laptop however no success so far. I am using the alternate cd image for 64 bit machines.

I have downloaded the image and burned it after making an MD5SUM check which was OK.

But on the first screen of the install menu, I am trying to check the CD for defects, but this one was a problem. The check freezes, then I tried to restart and try directly to install, but unfortunately this one as well freezes at the very begining.

Lastly, I have an HP Compaq 6710b with Intel Core2 Duo T7300 2Ghz cpu on it. I also checked to be sure if it was really an 64 bit processor, and it is. I did not understand the result of this problem.

Can someone guide me on this problem? Otherwise, I am thiking of burning an ubuntu cd and get xfce later on. Any brighter ideas are appreciated ;-)

Regards,

Umut

Pumalite
June 28th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Does that belong to the dv6000 family?

utab
June 28th, 2008, 08:00 PM
As far as I can see from the google search that dv family is pavilion family but mine is from the compaq family I guess not %100 sure though, I will check this time I had a great headache on the installation of xubuntu on a laptop :S

Thx

utab
June 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
This is the response of the laptop testing team, an exact match however I tried the alternate install cd for 64...

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam/HP6710b

pytheas22
June 28th, 2008, 08:05 PM
The check freezes, then I tried to restart and try directly to install, but unfortunately this one as well freezes at the very begining.

If the integrity check freezes, there's probably a problem with the CD, which also explains why you can't install.

Try burning a second CD at a low burning speed. Trying to burn at maximum speed tends to cause problems.

utab
June 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Thx for the reply, My 1st try was to burn 16X, it did not work, then I tried to burn on the lowest speed, 4X but that one also is ending with the same problem, there is another point I am curious on there is a file md5sum.txt on the cdrom that I burned from the iso image but this one gives a different hash than the one on the page of ubuntu hashes, this might cause problems maybe, I am not sure because this is th 1st time I am having this kind of problem with ubuntu...

Best regards,

Umut

If the integrity check freezes, there's probably a problem with the CD, which also explains why you can't install.

Try burning a second CD at a low burning speed. Trying to burn at maximum speed tends to cause problems.

Pumalite
June 28th, 2008, 08:14 PM
The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 is the main issue with running Linux on the HP-Compaq 6710B. All other features work well and up coming Ubuntu Linux distribution should solve the screen problem with the 6710B.
Try the Alternate CD.

utab
June 28th, 2008, 08:16 PM
The Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 is the main issue with running Linux on the HP-Compaq 6710B. All other features work well and up coming Ubuntu Linux distribution should solve the screen problem with the 6710B.
Try the Alternate CD.

Hmmm, I tried all the time, the alternate cd however...

Pumalite
June 28th, 2008, 08:22 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installation%20using%20the%20Alternat e%20CD

utab
June 28th, 2008, 08:28 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation#Installation%20using%20the%20Alternat e%20CD

Thank you, but I have followed them, the problem is that I can not even check the CD for errors even if I wrote that on the lowest speed. Installation phase never begins. I tried 3 cds already with the same method and different speeds, 16, 8 and 4X.

Thanks for the reply anyway :-)

Umut

utab
June 28th, 2008, 08:53 PM
I will try the desktop edition as well as a last resort. Thanks for the replies.

Pumalite
June 28th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Clean the lens in your burner, just in case.

utab
June 28th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Clean the lens in your burner, just in case.
Good idea even though the machine is 2 weeks old ;)