PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Copy Canonical Disc to USB (doest work)

iheartubuntu
June 28th, 2008, 06:17 PM
The CDrom drive on my old computer doesnt work so using another computer I wanted to put the 8.04 disc onto a USB drive and then run the install off of that. When I just copy the entire contents of the CD to the USB, I get a few errors...

-Error while copying "stable"

-Error while copying "unstable"

-Error while copying "ubuntu"

Any clue how to get this to work? I dont want to install Ubuntu if files are missing :) Thanks!

Pumalite
June 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
You can install 8.04 to a 4 GB Pen Drive as if it were a hard drive:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=789528&highlight=Herman+USB

iheartubuntu
June 28th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Right now I cant even copy the disc to a HD. It copies most files, but obviously not all of them as Im getting these error messages near the end of copying.

Pumalite
June 28th, 2008, 09:03 PM
You have to use the Live CD and INSTALL to the USB.

iheartubuntu
June 28th, 2008, 09:35 PM
No No... Im not trying to create a running OS on a USB... Im just trying to copy the 8.04 disc to a USB, or even just to my HD and cant do it. Not all files will copy over and I get the above error messages.

VMC
June 29th, 2008, 12:52 AM
No No... Im not trying to create a running OS on a USB... Im just trying to copy the 8.04 disc to a USB, or even just to my HD and cant do it. Not all files will copy over and I get the above error messages.

How are you trying to copy the files over? What command are you using. What OS, livecd, Windows, etc.