PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Gnome - lightest theme manager?

Jack.Straw
June 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
I'm new to ubuntu (using 8.04). I use compiz & emerald on my main ubuntu machine, but i'm also doing an ubuntu install on an older work computer. What type of themes (metacity, gtk, etc) would be best for a computer where i'm looking for performance over eye candy? I do want to be able to personalize, but it doesn't need to have transparency or other system taxing options. What would you suggest?

oldos2er
June 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM
Gnome is not light. I'd suggest a DE like Fluxbox.

ShodanjoDM
June 28th, 2008, 08:23 PM
If you're looking for a lightweight DE (Desktop Environment), my recommendations are xfce, LXDE or Enlightenment. Xfce & LXDE are Gnome-based but still lighter and faster than Gnome itself.

If you're looking for a lightweight WM (Window Manager) instead of complete DE, your choices are plenty. My personal favourites are Fluxbox and IceWM, although there are also OpenBox, Awesome and PekWM among others.

About theme engines, look here (http://gianvito.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/gtk-engines-benchmarks-whats-the-fastest/4/) for comparison. Mist is the fastest while Aurora scores the worst. My personal favourite is Murrine with its beautiful effects while still fast & light enough.

EDIT:

In addition, I would avoid themes and metacity frames that use pixmaps (.png graphics, usually) for old computers.

PCMan
June 28th, 2008, 10:39 PM
If you're looking for a lightweight DE (Desktop Environment), my recommendations are xfce, LXDE or Enlightenment. Xfce & LXDE are Gnome-based but still lighter and faster than Gnome itself.
LXDE and XFCE are NOT gnome-based. They are gtk+-based.

Guanine
June 29th, 2008, 03:24 AM
You could use Xfce,Flexbox,or IceWM.

urukrama
June 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Try Openbox (or LXDE if you want to invest less time in it). It is very light, simple and beautiful. For help, see the link in my signature.

Jack.Straw
June 29th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the recommendations! I downloaded and installed Xubuntu to try Xfce. I haven't done much testing yet, but it seems fine. I also checked out the other suggestions in this post. LXDE sounds good, but does it matter weather i install it in ubuntu or xubuntu?

Thanks again,
-Jack

ShodanjoDM
June 29th, 2008, 10:01 PM
LXDE and XFCE are NOT gnome-based. They are gtk+-based.

I stand corrected.
Got mixed up between Gnome & GTK+.