PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu or openSUSE for new users?

damphoud
June 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I'm sure this has been discussed a few times, but I cant seem to get a definitive answer. I always run into people who want linux installed on their computer, but I have a hard choice. Should I install Ubuntu or openSUSE? I've been running different linux distros for the past 2-3 years, but I do not consider myself a power user. I wouldn't know how one could benefit a new user over the other, except for feel of the os. I'm kind of leaning towards openSUSE...

kaldor
June 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM
I would say Ubuntu. Ubuntu just seems to be the easiest. If they are Windows users, have them try Kubuntu with KDE 3.5

verb3k
June 28th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Ubuntu is the best for new users. Ubuntu is the only distro that convinced me to stay with it after I experimented with many distros in a long journey (Fedora, Suse, Mandriva ...etc)

damphoud
June 28th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I've posted in openSUSE forums as well. Should be interesting to see the different responses. :D

I do find Ubuntu to be easy as well... maybe I should just run the different live cds and see which one he/she likes.

chucky chuckaluck
June 28th, 2008, 04:47 PM
i tried opensuse the other day and found yack (or, whatever it is) to be a confusing mess.

Redrazor39
June 28th, 2008, 04:48 PM
openSUSE looks nicer, but requires more knowledge. Ubuntu is much better for new users. I used it first, tried openSUSE, and came back to Ubuntu because of the community support.

gn2
June 28th, 2008, 05:01 PM
For new users: Linux Mint

Beats Ubuntu and openSUSE hands down.

damphoud
June 28th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I don't know if I can agree with you Redrazor39. From the gui level, I find YAST to provide many configuration options that would need to be done though the command line in Ubuntu. Unless there is something that I'm missing?

bobbob1016
June 28th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I wouldn't say to use Linux Mint, unless you are going to support it. While it isn't bad, the only thing it does that you can't get elsewhere in Ubuntu as far as I could tell from my few months playing with Mint on my laptop, is built in codecs. The codecs can be installed with "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted" or Applications -> Add/Remove search for Restricted, check ubuntu-restricted and click apply.

Their "mintInstall" or whatever it is called, is nice, but not sure how different it is from a .deb or from Synaptic. I think it does some extra checking, but since there aren't as many programs using mintInstall yet, it defeats the purpose.

I found Mint much harder to upgrade than Ubuntu. They now have "mintBackup", and recommend reinstalling from scratch instead of upgrading. I always have my /home in a separate partition. I used their backup tool, just to be safe, but it had a few too many steps, as in asking me to select settings to keep, something a non-expert wouldn't know. A novice wouldn't know which ones to check for backing up. I did the fresh install, keeping my /home partition, and it gave me permission errors. I was able to fix these, but a novice would get confused. Ubuntu doesn't do this when I do a fresh install, I prefer fresh installs to upgrades.

As for openSUSE vs Ubuntu, I'd suggest having them try each. I prefer Ubuntu, but openSUSE has some more professional things, one good thing about their deal with the devil, errr Microsoft (nothing against Microsoft directly, just these deals are based on false patent infringements, and signing the contract reinforces Microsoft's false patents), is they have the official Microsoft specs for interoperability, as in file sharing and things. But I've never had a problem with Ubuntu's samba.

DarkOx
June 28th, 2008, 05:30 PM
I've posted in openSUSE forums as well. Should be interesting to see the different responses. :D

I do find Ubuntu to be easy as well... maybe I should just run the different live cds and see which one he/she likes.

I'd advise against the different Live CDs thing. One of the worst things about moving to Linux is the myriad of choices you have to wade through before you can find out what to install. (Do you want to run KDE or Gnome? If you want to run KDE, do you want to run version 3 or 4? Would you rather use Suse or Ubuntu? How about applications: would you like rhythmbox or banshee? etc, etc)

I'd say pick the system you use the most personally (unless, y'know, you're on something like Slackware or Gentoo). It'll be easier for you to troubleshoot any problems they may have that way. Then just show them that distro. If they completely hate it, then they probably won't like any flavor of Linux, so the other choices are useless. If they later come to you and say, for example, "Well, Ubuntu's all right, but I wish it had some kind of control centre", you can suggest Suse cause it has Yast.

The point is, all the Linux choices only mean anything after you've used Linux a bit. So just give them whatever you've got, and after a few months see what they like/don't like.

xpod
June 28th, 2008, 05:42 PM
I`d probably agree with my compatriot and say Linux Mint.
Although i`ve never actually used it i`ve read enough complaints about the lack of immediate DVD,MP3 playback etc to think it can only be a good thing,for those who need that immediate playability without having to read,or ask anything anyway.

I think the more you have to actually do yourself then the quicker you get an understanding for things........mostly anyway:-\"

gn2
June 28th, 2008, 06:14 PM
My reason for suggesting Linux Mint is that it will give an instant fix of everything working out of the box and has very good hardware detection and set-up.

The current version, Mint 5 Elyssa is supported for three years, in which time the new user will surely have picked up enough knowledge to have mastered the upgrade/re-install process.

kshsj777
June 28th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I switched to Linux about three months ago. I've tried Mandriva, OpenSUSE, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu and Ubuntu wins hands down.

I've also tried different flavors of Ubuntu: Xubuntu and Kubuntu. I don't like Kubuntu b/c the menus get so messy. Xubuntu is okay, but it's more annoying for some reason. I like Ubuntu the best.

madjr
June 28th, 2008, 06:37 PM
My reason for suggesting Linux Mint is that it will give an instant fix of everything working out of the box and has very good hardware detection and set-up.

The current version, Mint 5 Elyssa is supported for three years, in which time the new user will surely have picked up enough knowledge to have mastered the upgrade/re-install process.

+1 to mint

madjr
June 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
I wouldn't say to use Linux Mint, unless you are going to support it. While it isn't bad, the only thing it does that you can't get elsewhere in Ubuntu as far as I could tell from my few months playing with Mint on my laptop, is built in codecs. The codecs can be installed with "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted" or Applications -> Add/Remove search for Restricted, check ubuntu-restricted and click apply.

Their "mintInstall" or whatever it is called, is nice, but not sure how different it is from a .deb or from Synaptic. I think it does some extra checking, but since there aren't as many programs using mintInstall yet, it defeats the purpose.

I found Mint much harder to upgrade than Ubuntu. They now have "mintBackup", and recommend reinstalling from scratch instead of upgrading. I always have my /home in a separate partition. I used their backup tool, just to be safe, but it had a few too many steps, as in asking me to select settings to keep, something a non-expert wouldn't know. A novice wouldn't know which ones to check for backing up. I did the fresh install, keeping my /home partition, and it gave me permission errors. I was able to fix these, but a novice would get confused. Ubuntu doesn't do this when I do a fresh install, I prefer fresh installs to upgrades.

check the official mint blog and read the review responses from Clem
http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/

you will get all the answers about mintinstall, upgrading, etc.

perlluver
June 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Even though I am using OpenSuse, I would recommend Ubuntu, it is easier for me to set-up than pretty much anything else. Mandriva was the easiest. I just tried Linux Mint 5 and flash was about as useful as bucket on a house fire. It did not work for me. So I say Ubuntu, that is how I have transfered quite a few people over.

itisbasi
June 28th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I first tried out fedora a year back as a first time linux user and was struggling with driver issues. So I dumped linux for a while and then googled about the best linux distro for noobs and found that the unanimous verdict was UBUNTU. I tried it and have never looked back. I've had only one driver issue with usb driver for a crappy modem called smartax mt882 by huawei and that's about it. Ubuntu is undoubtedly the best for first time linux users.

spamzilla
June 28th, 2008, 07:15 PM
OpenSuse looks sexier but I find that Ubuntu is much easier to use. Ubuntu has no clustered or confusing menus, simple / easy to use programs / tools and a wonderful support forum :D

Kernel Sanders
June 28th, 2008, 07:16 PM
For new users: Linux Mint

Beats Ubuntu and openSUSE hands down.

WHS. Neither, MINT FTW!