PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] noob programming language confusion

iansane
June 28th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi, I have completed a c++ intro class with an A :-) but haven't delved into shell programming, GTK, or anything like that yet.

So I have a noob question.

What language is this? And if I type it in terminal and it works, do I assume it is all shell scripting? This looks like it will be easy to learn because of similarities to c and c++.

Here's the piece of code that made multiple directorys all at one time.

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6; do mkdir /home/ian/testing/slot${i}; done

This is from a Amanda backup tutorial. I guess the main question is; Is this shell scripting and will the exact same code work in other linux shells besides bash?

I just want to get a good understanding of what I did and where I should start to learn more of these commands.

Thanks

LaRoza
June 28th, 2008, 04:35 PM
So I have a noob question.

What language is this? And if I type it in terminal and it works, do I assume it is all shell scripting? This looks like it will be easy to learn because of similarities to c and c++.

Terminal can help:

~$ls *.sh
info.sh p.sh
~$file p.sh
p.sh: POSIX shell script text executable
~$

Here's the piece of code that made multiple directorys all at one time.

for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6; do mkdir /home/ian/testing/slot${i}; done

It is a shell script.

This is from a Amanda backup tutorial. I guess the main question is; Is this shell scripting and will the exact same code work in other linux shells besides bash?

I just want to get a good understanding of what I did and where I should start to learn more of these commands.

It might use bash specific code. to test, run it with dash :-)

(The first line of the script will be something like "#!/usr/bin/bash" or something. If it is "sh" instead of "bash", it will be run with dash by default on Ubuntu.

Martin Witte
June 29th, 2008, 05:01 PM

The easiest way to test if it will run in most shells (sh, ksh, bash - I'm not too sure about csh, I keep myself away from this shell, see this (http://www.unix.com.ua/orelly/unix/upt/ch47_02.htm) article why) is to put your code in a file, with as first line #!/bin/sh

martin@sony:~$ cat test.sh
#!/bin/sh
for i in 1 2 3 4 5 6; do mkdir /tmp/slot${i}; done
martin@sony:~$ chmod 700 test.sh
martin@sony:~$ ./test.sh
martin@sony:~$ ls /tmp
gconfd-martin orbit-root slot2 tmp.WsGXCH5599
gconfd-root plugtmp slot3 tmpy34J1P
keyring-tmZwWC pulse-martin slot4 Tracker-martin.5881
libgksu-1iWnrm seahorse-8AlI3V slot5 virtual-martin.rDAIVW
orbit-martin slot1 slot6
martin@sony:~$

iansane
July 1st, 2008, 03:53 AM
Thanks LaRoza and Martin Witte

Sorry so long to reply. I got a little side tracked.

That was very helpfull info. It works with dash and as a .sh file.

I have a shell scripting ebook I'm about to start reading now.