PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Why is Dolphin the default file manager in Kubuntu?

jynyl
June 28th, 2008, 09:29 AM
Konqueror seems so much better than Dolphin as a file manager. Some difficulties I have with Dolphin;
- no tree view sidebar
- can't change column width
- no filesize view

Although it is possible to set konqueror as default file manager, there must be some reason Dolphin was chosen for kde4 and Kubuntu.

ibutho
June 28th, 2008, 09:49 AM
Dolphin is the default for KDE4, so it wasn't a Kubuntu specific decision. The features you mention as missing in Dolphin, have been added to Dolphin in the KDE 4.1 developemnt releases.

Arathorn
June 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
I love Dolphin in KDE4, but making Dolphin default for KDE3 was a mistake. The KDE3 version of Dolphin is a far cry from the usefulness of the KDE4 version. The version in 4.1 is particularly nice.

lexxonnet
June 28th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I quite agree with this. One of the first things I do when I install kubuntu for someone is remove dolphin. Almost everyone I've spoken to prefers konqueror in KDE3, and quite a few dont like Dolphin in KDE4 either. I believe it was a decision by the Kubuntu devs to install Dolphin in KDE3.

I personally like Dolphin in KDE4, though I still prefer Konqueror as of 4.1 beta2.

Guanine
June 29th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Dolphin is just a better copy of Nautilus to make KDE easier to use like Gnome.