PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 'Corrupted' error on server install

Scooter7
June 28th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Hi,

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 8.04 Server to my server box. I previously had 7.04 installed, but I needed to wipe it, and decided to install the latest version while I was at it.

My problem is this: during installation or the integrity check, I get errors for random files (it's different each time) saying a package is corrupted and can't install.

The MD5 hash for the .iso is fine, and the integrity check passes with the disc on every computer I've tried except my server box. The same is true with the CD-R I used to install 7.04.

The CD drive is pretty old, so I think that's the problem, but I'm not sure.

Installing via the network or floppy is not an option for me, and I can't install with a external CD/DVD drive as the machine can't boot from USB.

I ordered a CD from shipit, but I don't know if that would work, and I'd like to avoid buying a new drive (or a new server box). This isn't for a business, mostly a hobby.

Any suggestions?

Pumalite
June 28th, 2008, 03:15 AM
Clean the lens in your burner . Do a memtest.

seenm
July 6th, 2008, 11:23 PM
I had the same problem, it was the cdrom drive as you suggested so just connected anotherone. btw i wouldn't say that a dvdrom is a big investment. just checked on my favorite online store they cost about 15 € alternate.eu (http://www.alternate.eu/html/product/summary/categorized.html?cat1=006&cat2=001&cat3=000&sorted=true&treeName=HARDWARE&Level1=Drives&Level2=DVD-ROM&Level3=IDE&column=price&direction=asc). okay this is a european shop but you must have something similair in Canada :lolflag: did a goole search and here you go www.directcanada.com (http://www.directcanada.com/products/?sku=10530DR2720&vpn=DVD-E616A3-OEM&manufacture=ASUS)

Scooter7
July 7th, 2008, 12:30 AM
I tried cleaning the lens, didn't work. The performance is a bit better, but like you (seenm) say, I'm gonna go ahead and buy a new drive.

I do indeed have an online store like that, and I've already found a drive, they're pretty cheap. It actually has twice the value for me as I'll only need it once in a while for my server (whenever I need to do a reinstall, for example, and that's extremely rare), and I'm going to be building a new gaming rig soonish.

Thanks,