PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hard drive not showing up?

narutomonkeyfreak
June 28th, 2008, 01:21 AM
Hi, I'm on my dad's Gateway 4535GZ Laptop. It's specs are: Pentium M 735 processor, 512 MB of RAM, and most important in this case I guess would be the hard drive, but I just know it's a 100 GB... not sure beyond that.

It had Windows installed previously and it hd a many issues with it until it finally refused to boot at all. So I tried installing Hardy off of the LiveCD, but when the install finished and I logged in, all the icons were missing, so I tried rebooting and had the same problem so I tried reinstalling, nd then this time the install would not finish and now it can't detect the primary hard drive at all- the partitions don't show up on gparted or anything and the guided install option just leads me to the partitioner... any advice??? Thanks in advance!

milosz.galazka
June 28th, 2008, 01:30 AM
Hello,

You could download ultimate boot cd (http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html) to check your harddrive

narutomonkeyfreak
June 28th, 2008, 01:39 AM
I looked on the site, and the relevant progrms seem to require the windows environment (they're all exe files)? I don't have a computer running windows right now, just this running off of the live CD and a Toshiba Tecra M4 running Hardy.

VMC
June 28th, 2008, 01:44 AM
Reboot using the "Live cd", then go "Applications-Accessories-Terminal", and open a Terminal and type this:

sudo fdisk -l

Come back and show us the output of that command

narutomonkeyfreak
June 28th, 2008, 01:59 AM
OK, I rebooted from the LiveCD and fdisk isn't giving any output at all the terminal shows:

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

narutomonkeyfreak
June 28th, 2008, 02:32 AM
If it helps any, when I run gparted, I get an output of

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo gparted
======================
libparted : 1.7.1
======================
Unable to open /dev/scd0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/scd0 has been opened read-only.
Unable to open /dev/scd0 read-write (Read-only file system). /dev/scd0 has been opened read-only.
Unable to open /dev/scd0 - unrecognised disk label.

Which might be the real problem? I don't mind completely reformatting/losing data, because there isn't any... so is there a way to make this re writable instead of read -only?

narutomonkeyfreak
June 28th, 2008, 03:19 AM
Oh, I got fdisk-l to work-

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo fdisk -l /dev/scd0
Note: sector size is 2048 (not 512)

Disk /dev/scd0: 733 MB, 733079552 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 22 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 2048 = 32901120 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/scd0 doesn't contain a valid partition table

narutomonkeyfreak
June 28th, 2008, 04:28 AM
Anyone? I'd really love for this to be fixed reltively soon, so...

*shameless bump*

VMC
June 28th, 2008, 04:33 AM
That 'fdisk' command you supplied was for the cdrom drive, not the hard drive. It appears it doesn't recognize you hard drive. Can you open the case and check the cables and/or power supply cable?

narutomonkeyfreak
June 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
I took out the HArd Drive and popped it back in (it's a laptop) and it's still doing the same thing =(