PDA

View Full Version : I love openSUSE, but...but... I miss ubuntu so much!!! :'-(

Redrazor39
June 28th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Seeing Nelson Mandela on TV at his birthday party really made me think about Ubuntu again. I installed openSUSE to replace ubuntu about a week ago and I love it, but Ubuntu just has so much more in totally different ways.

It almost makes me want to cry (not really, but my inner geek is weeping right now), but I switched from ubuntu to kubuntu because KDE seems so much cooler, then from kubuntu to openSUSE because kubuntu butchers KDE so bad it's pathetic. Now... I'm really missing the original ubuntu. I hated the GNOME interface because it was so counterintuitive and so inefficient (esp. for screen real estate) but now... it just seemed so friendly. It would always be there to hold my hand through finding what I needed and if I still couldn't, I always had the ubuntu forums. If I wanted a new feature, ubuntu brainstorm was where I could go. If there was a bug, off to Launchpad I went. All the people who helped me so much here, well, I felt like I just abandoned them. OpenSUSE is great and the forums are good, but I never get that feeling of community anymore. That's what I always loved about ubuntu. An ever growing community with people from experts to total newbs. That's what I loved. I could always ask for help and be there to help others.

I've partitioned the hell out of my laptop and I'm just hoping my hard drive doesn't fail or anything. Hardy Heron was such a disappointing release. Sure, there were some nice conveniences, but no new look, still no suspend (doesn't work in openSUSE either, lol), and lots of bugs left unfixed. I thought LTS releases focused on bug fixes and stability, but I saw Hardy was more focused on features, from what I saw on the adverts. Sadly, Hardy failed at both of those. Then, I found there is still hope with the point releases and Intrepid Ibex. OpenSUSE has an 11 month release cycle. Ubuntu has a 6 month release cycle and I've noticed I get updates much, much faster and more frequently with ubuntu. Ubuntu is improving so fast.

Well, I think I'm going to kill openSUSE (farewell, my favorite KDE distro) and then give Vista back its space. Then, I'll shrink Vista once more and stick Ubuntu Hardy Heron in there. Then, if I want to try out other distros, I'll install this VirtualBox thing I keep hearing about and use that. If I do find a distro that truly satisfies me more than ubuntu, I'll switch to that, but I highly doubt I will with all the community goodness of Ubuntu.

Thoughts?

paul101
June 28th, 2008, 12:39 AM
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :lolflag:

Redrazor39
June 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM
I know, I know. It's THE geekiest thing that's ever happened to me, but it happened.

RiceMonster
June 28th, 2008, 12:43 AM
Funny, I just got rid of Ubuntu, but I was using Openbox on Ubuntu, so I don't really miss it right now. I'm using Arch.

cardinals_fan
June 28th, 2008, 01:00 AM
IF openSUSE works better for you, don't ditch it because of sentimental memories! Think!

EDIT: I STRONGLY prefer either any VMware product or Qemu to VirtualBox. That app has caused me so much pain... :evil:

damis648
June 28th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Seeing Nelson Mandela on TV at his birthday party really made me think about Ubuntu again. I installed openSUSE to replace ubuntu about a week ago and I love it, but Ubuntu just has so much more in totally different ways.

It almost makes me want to cry (not really, but my inner geek is weeping right now), but I switched from ubuntu to kubuntu because KDE seems so much cooler, then from kubuntu to openSUSE because kubuntu butchers KDE so bad it's pathetic. Now... I'm really missing the original ubuntu. I hated the GNOME interface because it was so counterintuitive and so inefficient (esp. for screen real estate) but now... it just seemed so friendly. It would always be there to hold my hand through finding what I needed and if I still couldn't, I always had the ubuntu forums. If I wanted a new feature, ubuntu brainstorm was where I could go. If there was a bug, off to Launchpad I went. All the people who helped me so much here, well, I felt like I just abandoned them. OpenSUSE is great and the forums are good, but I never get that feeling of community anymore. That's what I always loved about ubuntu. An ever growing community with people from experts to total newbs. That's what I loved. I could always ask for help and be there to help others.

I've partitioned the hell out of my laptop and I'm just hoping my hard drive doesn't fail or anything. Hardy Heron was such a disappointing release. Sure, there were some nice conveniences, but no new look, still no suspend (doesn't work in openSUSE either, lol), and lots of bugs left unfixed. I thought LTS releases focused on bug fixes and stability, but I saw Hardy was more focused on features, from what I saw on the adverts. Sadly, Hardy failed at both of those. Then, I found there is still hope with the point releases and Intrepid Ibex. OpenSUSE has an 11 month release cycle. Ubuntu has a 6 month release cycle and I've noticed I get updates much, much faster and more frequently with ubuntu. Ubuntu is improving so fast.

Well, I think I'm going to kill openSUSE (farewell, my favorite KDE distro) and then give Vista back its space. Then, I'll shrink Vista once more and stick Ubuntu Hardy Heron in there. Then, if I want to try out other distros, I'll install this VirtualBox thing I keep hearing about and use that. If I do find a distro that truly satisfies me more than ubuntu, I'll switch to that, but I highly doubt I will with all the community goodness of Ubuntu.

Thoughts?

Haha, this is why I didn't switch to OpenSuSE. I was afraid of leaving the community. Great minds think alike ;-).
LONG LIVE THE UBUNTUFORUMS COMMUNITY!

PS. If you are interested in virtualbox, use the Closed-source one from the site. The OSE one in the repos does not support USB.

Redrazor39
June 28th, 2008, 01:40 AM
openSUSE works, but there's nothing better about it for me except the look, and I can just go on gnome-look.org.

Arch is awesome if you know what you're doing. I'm not an advanced enough user for that kind of software construction yet so I'm not interested in Arch. I love how they let you only put what you want in your system-- none of that default junk you won't need.

Ubuntu is awesome though.

If suspend to RAM had worked in openSUSE for me, then I would never have touched an ubuntu live cd again. I guess I'll just have to wait for hardware support... stupid Sony and their not releasing proper hardware info...

LONG LIVE THE UBUNTUFORUMS COMMUNITY!
Quoted for Truth.

madjr
June 28th, 2008, 01:56 AM
i love kde4 in opensuse

but when you leave Ubuntu you'll always feel something is missing

cardinals_fan
June 28th, 2008, 02:22 AM
You will? I haven't...

doorknob60
June 28th, 2008, 02:31 AM
If you like a stable and functional KDE and similarity to Ubuntu, try Debian Testing with KDE. It's very stable, more stable thhan Ubuntu's Gnome, and it's super quick (it runs fabulously on a Celeron 1.2 ghz 256 MB of RAM on a different box), and it just works. And of corse because Ubuntu is Debian based, things are very similar (apt-get and stuff for example).b

Redrazor39
June 28th, 2008, 03:16 AM
i love kde4 in opensuse

Same here

mfox
July 27th, 2008, 02:51 AM
I'm running both openSUSE 11 and Ubuntu Hardy on my G4 PowerBook. With PPC architecture, you don't have a lot of choices and no one distribution can do all of the relatively simple things I ask of it. I need to have my AirPort wireless working, and only the newer distro versions seem to work with it. I also want to run my Mac software on Mac-on-Linux, but it only works with the older distros. The one exception is openSUSE 11 PPC, which gives wireless and MOL. But unlike the x86 version, the mp4 codecs don't seem to work with openSUSE 11, and I can't find a version of one statistical package I use (R) that runs on openSUSE. Ubuntu Hardy is a gem by comparison - everything works and everything I want is easily accessible. That is, everything but MOL. Debian Lenny is similar to Ubuntu in functionality on my PowerBook, but you have to work harder to get what you want. I had wireless problems with Debian Etch and Yellow Dog Linux 6, so in the end I have to run two distros to get what I want going. I am more used to the Debian derivatives and would gladly stick with Ubuntu or Lenny if either figures out how to patch MOL as openSUSE has done.

wersdaluv
July 27th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I also love OpenSuSE but I can't leave Ubuntu. I just chose Ubuntu. After all of OpenSuSE's goodness, nothing beats the Ubuntu community.

Redrazor39
July 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
OMG now I'm checking out Fedora. I'm about to install Fedora 8 KDE (because KDE 4 isn't done yet and F9 has implemented it badly) but I heard there's a lot of extra setup that's done by default in Ubuntu. Then I found this thing called easylife that does it all automatically.

I'm thinking of using F8 and learning how to navigate the options in KDE and learn which options are available. Then, when F10 comes out with KDE 4.1 or 4.2, I'll upgrade to that and have all the coolness of KDE 4 along with the latest and greatest of linux found in fedora! Yay!

I'm still going to definitely stick to the ubuntu community (of course, I'll use the fedora forums for help questions)

seatex
July 27th, 2008, 11:01 PM
I replaced ubuntu 8.04 with openSUSE 11 after they released the final. I liked openSUSE, and all the included sysadmin apps that come with it. But, I didn't like the SUSE-tailored menu system with gnome - too many apps listed in each menu. I prefer the normal gnome menu system in ubuntu. I know you can switch this in openSUSE, but I didn't bother with it at the time.

Anyway, I ended up switching back to ubuntu after a week or so. Why? Because I was trying to install some codec support (or something like that) which I had easily done on ubuntu before - and it either wasn't available in the SUSE repos or didn't work right (can't remember which now).

So, openSUSE was fun to play with, and looks pretty good by default (I might add). But, I'm happy to be back with ubuntu because it feels more comfortable, predictable, and it's so much easier to find help on the net vs. other distros due to the large community support.

Ubuntu is #1 for a reason. \\:D/