PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Curuious - consensus on update strategies and software sources?

pablolie
June 28th, 2008, 12:13 AM
i am curious as to whether there is some general consensus on how the system update strategy should be for an ubuntu system. i enable the canonical and universe stuff and go for important and recommended updates.

the result is what i assume is a very up to date and standard system. but there are updates very often, even though to Ubuntu's credit restarts are hardly ever required.

then again - how many feel the constant updates are a bonus, how many feel that they are a liability when a system seems to be running perfectly fine anyhow?

i have not once have had an update go wrong, which i find awesome - then again, do the experts think there may be a first time if i keep my current settings?

AndyCooll
June 28th, 2008, 12:22 AM
There was an occasion last year when an update broke your gui ...it hasn't been forgotten! However, it was quickly fixed and by the time I downloaded the update everything had been resolved.

it depends on your circumstances or what you want. I am happy to take all updates (I even take the "Proposed" updates), and they haven't ever given me any problems. I suppose if you're in a business environment you'd want to be a little more cautious.

:cool:

aysiu
June 28th, 2008, 01:29 AM
Unless you have the proposed and experimental updates, you should always update, as the updates are usually security-related.

markbuntu
June 28th, 2008, 04:47 AM
I update everything, security, universe, proposed. I like danger, I like living on the edge. I am a sucker for cheap thrills. I also have a complete other installation on another drive I can boot into to fix stuff that goes horribly wrong.

Proposed has acutally fixed a number of problems I was having but then again, you always have to be prepared for something to go drastically wrong with an update from proposed, though not as bad as what you can get from Launchpad which is the real bleeding edge.

If you are going to enable proposed, read the notes very carefully before you install any update. And keep your important personal stuff on another partition. Proposed is actually pretty safe these days, mostly just minor bug fixes and synchronization with Debian. But like I said, you have to read the notes.