PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install Problem

BamaBob
June 28th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Hello All,

I am new to Linux. The electrons are still wet behind my ears.

I purchased a Ubuntu book (version 7?) with DVD and installed on a 1.7 GHz box, 200 Gig HD, 256 Meg memory, Intel platform. Memory upgrade will be accomplished later.

This will become a dedicated Linux box. I chose text install (due to memory limits). After providing the hostname, the OS begins detecting the partitioner - for the past five hours. . .

I now have a blue screen with a white bar at the bottom of the screen. Since the screen prompted me for info up to this step, I presumed it will continue by asking size for each partition.

Any ideas on how to kick start this box?

Thanks,

Bob

cozmicharlie
June 28th, 2008, 04:08 AM
It normally does not take that long to check partitions. What version of Ubuntu are you installing from the disk? Do you have Windows installed on the computer? The reason I ask is it is a good idea to check you hard drive and if you have not done so in a while - defrag the disk. If the disk from the book is an older version of Ubuntu, then I would also recommend getting a copy of the latest version (Hardy) to install. You can download it from the Ubuntu web site or request a free disk from Canonical.

BamaBob
June 28th, 2008, 05:16 AM
I believe I discovered the problem. The HD had a small partition from a previous OS. I deleted all partitions and began the Ubuntu reinstall process. Boy, it goes much faster!

Thanks for the help. You have earned one ATTA Boy!