PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot install ATI Radeon 9250 Drivers: Unable to detect X Server.

Mortel
June 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Alright, I am very new to Linux (just installed Ubuntu 8.04 for the first time yesterday) and I think I need to install the drivers for my video card. I am running a Dell Dimension with a ATI Radeon 9250 (please ignore the age of my computer and graphics card, it's all that I have).

Anyways, here is the driver I am trying to install:
https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run

I save it to the desktop, and hit Control + Alt + F1, and type:

/etc/init.d stop
cd Desktop
sudo sh ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run

It then goes to work, and I get this error message:

Detected Configuration:
Architecture: i686 (32 bit)
X Server: unable to detect
Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ajgreeny
June 27th, 2008, 11:35 PM
I think thr open source driver that was installed when you installed the system works well with that card, it certainly does with my 9200se card.

sheds
July 1st, 2008, 11:47 PM
My installation did not install anything. Usually, i get some kind of message letting me know that restricted drivers are already being used, or in any case, the possibility of using them for the card i have. My problem is that my computer does not seem to find my video card. Its an ati 9200 SE, just like yours; I went to the ati site and found the drivers, but i get the same issue as the thread starter.

I tried using the fglrx option but i cannot find a xorg.conf file that matches what i have.

What would be the next step in the attempt to install the drivers???

zerobinary
July 2nd, 2008, 12:01 AM
I don't think you need to install the driver.
I used to use ati 9200 and it doesn't requires a driver.
But anyway this is the way you should do it.
I think the problem for you is you don't have the right compiler.
[code]
sudo -i
sudo apt-get install build-essential
cd the directory
ati-driver-installer-8.28.8.run