PDA

View Full Version : !!! BEWARE OF BUYING iPhone 3G !!!

bijeeshvs
June 27th, 2008, 10:19 PM
!!! BEWARE OF BUYING iPhone 3G !!!
Friends .....those of you in India planning for iPhone... THINK TWICE BEFORE MAKING A DECISION... The short comings of iPhone are endless...

No video calling, no AD2P on the Bluetooth,

CAN’T share ANY (mp3, images,videos....) files via bluetooth,

can't use as a wireless modem, (you pay ridiculous data charges to activate internet on your phone, but cannot connect it to your PC and browse when you are at home)

no copy and paste,(cannot copy a part of a.... say.... email & send it....have to type it out yourself)

no 3.2 or 5 megapixel camera,(the 2MP camera it carries is worst camera i've ever seen..... photos look like they have come out of a VGA camera)

no video recording with camera, no front camera, no flash.no JAVA support

No physical keyboard (BELIEVE me! this alone is a dealbreaker...touch keyboard as good as it looks...once you use it then only you come to know about the importance of having a hard keypad)

No 3G network yet in India..so why pay for expensive 3G phone if you cant use its 3G services ... so, for India, iPhone 2.0 is no better than its first version

No removable battery. (You cannot change battery. Have to send it to apple outlet.. Come on now!!!!...This is not an iPod. Its a bloody phone. You cannot live without phone for 2-3 days)

No haptic feedback and cannot send MMS,

can’t use as external storage device (16 GB of utter waste..next time you go to your friend's house & find some interesting songs, movies, etc...sorry you cannot connect your '16 GB' phone and share it!!!! Apple apparently has a solution.. " BUY MUSIC & MOVIES FROM iTUNES STORE "..... Give me a break will you APPLE!!!)

no FM radio, can’t use your mp3 files as ringtones, - another solution BUY RINGTONES FROM iTUNES!!!! (This is heights man!!!)

cannot insert any other SIM card….

completely tied to iTunes... Connect to your friend's iTunes & you risk erasing everything on your phone. list goes on & on & on….

We Indians are used to these features. Most of our phones already have these features. & we cannot do with out them.... i mean can you imagine paying so much for a phone with which you cannot transfer files via bluetooth. What age is this ...STONE AGE???

Some features may be activated by jailbreak.. But why the hell should you risk losing your warranty after paying so much.

And want to add third party softwares??.. YOU HAVE TO BUY THEM FROM iTUNES STORE ONLY!!! . (Shell out more money). Apple is a bloody control freak. Dont surrender your freedom to it.

<snip> When they want to buy a phone, they have to go to network operators and buy only those phones that are available on that network. & stick to that company till their contract expires. You want to change carriers? Not before paying damages, & buying another phone on the other network again.

On the contrary, we in India have so much freedom. We go to handset shops & buy which ever phone we like.
Then go to carriers.. checkout the plans & buy SIM.. Dont like the plan or rival carrier came up with a better plan???? EASY .. just remove & replace the SIM.

Apple are trying to IMPOSE THEIR MODEL ON US riding on the hype iPhone has created in the US (yes it was a flop in Europe ..thats why Apple never talks about its sales in Europe).

Dont fall for the subsidized price of iPhone... CHECKOUT THE DATA PLAN ATTACHED TO ITS SIM ..they will recover the cost through ridiculous data plans. Bill might come to around Rs 2500/month.<snip>

Let me clear one thing though.. iphone is the best looking phone (its touch interface is nothing like you have ever seen ), & best browsing experience out there no doubt .... (& others are fast catching up..check out the android demo at Google IO 2008).... BUT AFTER A FEW DAYS IT ALL COMES DOWN TO FUNCTIONALITY...

Those of who buy it... You will be most happy for atmost a week... & then, MARK MY WORDS...YOU WILL START REGRETTING IT!!!

My advice...WAIT FOR HTC DREAM!! (powered by android). If Still not convinced by then...by all means go for iPhone...

So friends lets spread this info to all our friends (they have a right to information) and help them in making a wise decision..... & those of you who have bought unlocked versions already please share your experiences with others

I got this from the net and was wondering about the truth, can anyone say more about it and is there any linux version that can run the iphone platform

manfer
June 27th, 2008, 10:35 PM
I had not read it all.

Can't tell nothing about the problems about network in India. Don't know if there's 3G network there.

I can only tell, at least the 2.5G iphone, previous version, had a Lite Mac OS Leopard in it insides. Which means it is a unix system too. And you can even do a ssh connection to it so I don't think would be a problem to connect it with any unix like system. (or no unix like, ssh client of any system)

If bluetooth connectivity works fine in the unix system you would have more than one alternative to connect.

badfish591
June 27th, 2008, 10:52 PM
yeah, alot of what it said there is true. but it's not really any suprise.
some if that stuff you don't get with alot of phones. and some of that stuff really doesn't matter, iphone batterys hold up pretty well it's not like your gonna be going in there weekly, or even yearly for that fact. and the no 3g in india isn't apples fault, i would blame india for that one. and some of those things can be fixed with a little jailbreaking, (which is not that risky, cause you can just go into options and reset the iphone) and then you can share misuc and file via wifi, (which is not bluetooth, i know but at least its something) and you are no longer tied to itunes, so you can sync in linux and everything... so i don't know it's not as bad as he makes it seem, but i do think the andriod phone's might end being better.

manfer
June 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM
some if that stuff you don't get with alot of phones. and some of that stuff really doesn't matter, iphone batterys hold up pretty well it's not like your gonna be going in there weekly, or even yearly for that fact. and the no 3g in india isn't apples fault, i would blame india for that one. and some of those things can be fixed with a little jailbreaking, (which is not that risky, cause you can just go into options and reset the iphone) and then you can share misuc and file via wifi, (which is not bluetooth, i know but at least its something) and you are no longer tied to itunes, so you can sync in linux and everything... so i don't know it's not as bad as he makes it seem, but i do think the andriod phone's might end being better.

I know the ssh works because a friend has it and did the ssh connection to the phone. If it is with wifi I think it is even better.

bijeeshvs
June 27th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Thank you guys for sharing ur comments, in india we are least worried about network operator and handset selection both of these cannot implement handset or operator forcefully, we have complete freedom in that and we are free to dump our operator also.................

and i was curious about running linux in iphone.....................

all2ez
July 3rd, 2008, 05:24 PM
You forgot to mention for the US consumers it comes with the added value of a free warrantless wiretap from AT&T and GWB.

bijeeshvs
July 5th, 2008, 04:37 PM
You forgot to mention for the US consumers it comes with the added value of a free warrantless wiretap from AT&T and GWB.

i am sorry, but i dont understand what u said could u please explain a bit..................................

fatality_uk
July 5th, 2008, 04:42 PM
There are much better phones for 50% of the price of an iPhone, 3g or not.
As a design gadget, it's amazing. I love the look and the interface. Would I buy one? Never.

wrtpeeps
July 5th, 2008, 04:50 PM
!!! BEWARE OF BUYING iPhone 3G !!!
Friends .....those of you in India planning for iPhone... THINK TWICE BEFORE MAKING A DECISION... The short comings of iPhone are endless...

No video calling, no AD2P on the Bluetooth,

CAN’T share ANY (mp3, images,videos....) files via bluetooth,

can't use as a wireless modem, (you pay ridiculous data charges to activate internet on your phone, but cannot connect it to your PC and browse when you are at home)

no copy and paste,(cannot copy a part of a.... say.... email & send it....have to type it out yourself)

no 3.2 or 5 megapixel camera,(the 2MP camera it carries is worst camera i've ever seen..... photos look like they have come out of a VGA camera)

no video recording with camera, no front camera, no flash.no JAVA support

No physical keyboard (BELIEVE me! this alone is a dealbreaker...touch keyboard as good as it looks...once you use it then only you come to know about the importance of having a hard keypad)

No 3G network yet in India..so why pay for expensive 3G phone if you cant use its 3G services ... so, for India, iPhone 2.0 is no better than its first version

No removable battery. (You cannot change battery. Have to send it to apple outlet.. Come on now!!!!...This is not an iPod. Its a bloody phone. You cannot live without phone for 2-3 days)

No haptic feedback and cannot send MMS,

can’t use as external storage device (16 GB of utter waste..next time you go to your friend's house & find some interesting songs, movies, etc...sorry you cannot connect your '16 GB' phone and share it!!!! Apple apparently has a solution.. " BUY MUSIC & MOVIES FROM iTUNES STORE "..... Give me a break will you APPLE!!!)

no FM radio, can’t use your mp3 files as ringtones, - another solution BUY RINGTONES FROM iTUNES!!!! (This is heights man!!!)

cannot insert any other SIM card….

completely tied to iTunes... Connect to your friend's iTunes & you risk erasing everything on your phone. list goes on & on & on….

We Indians are used to these features. Most of our phones already have these features. & we cannot do with out them.... i mean can you imagine paying so much for a phone with which you cannot transfer files via bluetooth. What age is this ...STONE AGE???

Some features may be activated by jailbreak.. But why the hell should you risk losing your warranty after paying so much.

And want to add third party softwares??.. YOU HAVE TO BUY THEM FROM iTUNES STORE ONLY!!! . (Shell out more money). Apple is a bloody control freak. Dont surrender your freedom to it.

Its good for american market (who have no idea what mobile freedom/choice is) which is in stone age compared to asian/european markets. When they want to buy a phone, they have to go to network operators and buy only those phones that are available on that network. & stick to that company till their contract expires. You want to change carriers? Not before paying damages, & buying another phone on the other network again.

On the contrary, we in India have so much freedom. We go to handset shops & buy which ever phone we like.
Then go to carriers.. checkout the plans & buy SIM.. Dont like the plan or rival carrier came up with a better plan???? EASY .. just remove & replace the SIM.

Apple are trying to IMPOSE THEIR MODEL ON US riding on the hype iPhone has created in the US (yes it was a flop in Europe ..thats why Apple never talks about its sales in Europe).

Dont fall for the subsidized price of iPhone... CHECKOUT THE DATA PLAN ATTACHED TO ITS SIM ..they will recover the cost through ridiculous data plans. Bill might come to around Rs 2500/month.(ATLEAST AMERICANS PAY THAT MUCH)

Let me clear one thing though.. iphone is the best looking phone (its touch interface is nothing like you have ever seen ), & best browsing experience out there no doubt .... (& others are fast catching up..check out the android demo at Google IO 2008).... BUT AFTER A FEW DAYS IT ALL COMES DOWN TO FUNCTIONALITY...

Those of who buy it... You will be most happy for atmost a week... & then, MARK MY WORDS...YOU WILL START REGRETTING IT!!!

My advice...WAIT FOR HTC DREAM!! (powered by android). If Still not convinced by then...by all means go for iPhone...

So friends lets spread this info to all our friends (they have a right to information) and help them in making a wise decision..... & those of you who have bought unlocked versions already please share your experiences with others

I got this from the net and was wondering about the truth, can anyone say more about it and is there any linux version that can run the iphone platform

Alot of this is rubbish. :(

Namely the itunes wiping stuff, the flop in europe stuff, I've seen the camera, it is similar (but not quite as good as) my 5mp n95, a lot of the problems you mentioned won't cause any problems to normal users, ie the modem bits, mms and video calling (you can't get video calling on most o2 packages in the UK I don't think anyway).

You also seem to not understand what a contract is. You usually have to honour contracts in the UK, you cannot simply "stop" paying.

You also criticise the touch, but then go on to say the touch screen is good? huh?

Sorry, but this just stinks of anti-appleness (if that is a word :lolflag:)

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 04:51 PM
There are much better phones for 50% of the price of an iPhone, 3g or not.
As a design gadget, it's amazing. I love the look and the interface. Would I buy one? Never.

Exactly! I admire Apple products but I would NEVER buy them for MYSELF because how much they lock in their users.

FranMichaels
July 5th, 2008, 04:52 PM
i am sorry, but i dont understand what u said could u please explain a bit..................................

The poster was being cheeky.

AT&T willing to spy for NSA, MPAA, and RIAA
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070613-att-willing-to-spy-for-nsa-mpaa-and-riaa.html

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 05:04 PM

Namely the itunes wiping stuff, the flop in europe stuff, I've seen the camera, it is similar (but not quite as good as) my 5mp n95, a lot of the problems you mentioned won't cause any problems to normal users, ie the modem bits, mms and video calling (you can't get video calling on most o2 packages in the UK I don't think anyway).
The camera is not good enough. I dunno how you compare that iPhone camera to your superb N95 camera. I think you are taking photographs at lower megapixel in your N95.
[/QUOTE]

You also seem to not understand what a contract is. You usually have to honour contracts in the UK, you cannot simply "stop" paying.

We in India have to honour contracts too. Nobody minds honouring the contracts but what stinks is the hidden details which are not brough in notice to the consumers and ultimately they are cheated.

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 05:10 PM

You just cannot blame Apple for that. Blame the infrastructure. Seriously you cannot blame Wireless Datacards because they suck here in India.

bijeeshvs
July 5th, 2008, 05:26 PM
hello everyone

please pay some patiance to read a post to the bottom , that was not my opinion. I was asking about the truth please read wht is in red in the bottom of the post that was what i asking for and you are blaming me for the entire post.............................................. ..

Canis familiaris
July 5th, 2008, 05:31 PM
hello everyone

please pay some patiance to read a post to the bottom , that was not my opinion. I was asking about the truth please read wht is in red in the bottom of the post that was what i asking for and you are blaming me for the entire post.............................................. ..

Oh!
Why dont you enclose it as a quote?
Just highlight what you are quoting nad select the quote tool, it is left to the hash.

billgoldberg
July 5th, 2008, 08:15 PM

You also criticise the touch, but then go on to say the touch screen is good? huh?

Sorry, but this just stinks of anti-appleness (if that is a word :lolflag:)

The phone is of little use to the power users, but if you want to show off, this is the phone for you.

I'm waiting for android or something with ubuntu mobile.

But I can tell you one thing, it did flop in Europe, badly.

billgoldberg
July 5th, 2008, 08:18 PM
You just cannot blame Apple for that. Blame the infrastructure. Seriously you cannot blame Wireless Datacards because they suck here in India.

The guy is telling readers to beware when you are planning to buy Iphone 3G when you live in India.

So even when it's not Apple's fault there is no 3G network in India, it is a reason for them not to buy the Iphone 3G.

CraigPaleo
July 6th, 2008, 11:32 PM

I jailbroke my iPhone with my Mac. I love that functionality and the installer app that it put on the phone. But I can't find anything on Linux to work with it in this way. Ubuntu only sees the iPhone as a camera and downloads the pics. How do i get into my files using Linux and WiFi?

By the way, I'm a very satisfied user of the iPhone. The touch keypad just takes a little getting used to. Before I knew it, I was typing with two thumbs quickly and accurately. At first, I was always pressing wrong letters and didn't think I'd ever get used to it. You just need to give it some time.

There is an app that allows you to email mp3s from your iPhone but I really want to get inside of it like I could on my Mac. I can't remember the name of the jailbreaker I used but it allowed me to add/remove files, create directories, etc...

Craig

P.S. I just found this in another thread: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortableDevices/iPhone

all2ez
July 8th, 2008, 03:11 PM

FranMichaels was right, that was my poor attempt at a sarcastic joke in reference to the Electronic Frontier Foundation lawsuit against AT&T which is publicized at arstechnica.com. Sorry for the confusion, and I guess I should have just answered your question.

I agree with fatality_uk about the iPhone. There are probably phones that offer much more freedom and flexibility out of the box and so I would probably never buy one. For example, if you only use linux and don't want to void the warranty by using the jailbreak software unlock, then you would be very limited in what you can do. By default the phone only works with iTunes.

That said, I was given an iPod touch as a gift and after jailbreaking it seems that the possibilities are limitless. The interface is amazing and there are lots of fun third party apps that extend the functionality of the device.

Raistlin82
July 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
Hi guys, i like the look of the iphone 3g but like some of the previous posters here said I wouldnt buy one. I was just wondering what some good alternatives would be that are ubuntu friendly?

the_darkside_986
July 22nd, 2008, 10:12 PM
OpenMoko Freerunner looks like it has a lot of potential but requires lots of tweaking and most features are missing, according to some reviews.

I'm not so sure I'd want an Android phone--not only does it run slow, interpreted Java byte code (no JIT-compile for it afaik) but recently Google was caught sending a proprietary version of the SDK only to certain individuals. There is nothing "free" about a platform that limits executable code to VM mode instead of allowing full hardware access.

sweeneytodd
July 22nd, 2008, 11:48 PM
you put me off buying one, it sucks how they charge you an arm and a leg to use internet from phone, it can't be that more expensive than home pc. if its a flop in europe thats a big thing, i think the 3g is bit of a flop here in oz, to expensive, and it amazes me about all this hype about iphone but no mention of its disadvantages, cons, previous sales(europe) it goes to show that the media is governed by corporate trend, now i'm not going to believe anything in the papers