PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] edgy java

fornews
June 27th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I have edgy installation and need to install java (javac, etc.) to play with java a bit. Problem is it seems all the edgy install images are now gone. Is there a way I can install a usable java with out upgrading my Ubuntu ?
I think it makes sense to avoid doing an Ubuntu upgrade as well if possible.

TIA

Rocket2DMn
June 27th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Edgy is no longer supported, which means there are no more official repositories for it, meaning you can't download packages or updates. You need to upgrade to a supported version of Ubuntu; I suggest you do a fresh install of Hardy Heron since it will be cleaner than trying to upgrade and it is a LTS release, so it is supported for 3 years on the desktop.

fornews
June 27th, 2008, 09:07 PM
Is there no way to install java on this existing install ?
I don't plan on using this laptop for a whole lot longer and I'd really like to avoid opening pandora's box if at all possible.

Rocket2DMn
June 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM
You can attempt to find a repository that still has Edgy in it, though it could be tough. The only other option would be to try and install java from .deb files, though this could cause problems with dependencies. I don't have any links for you regarding this problem since Edgy isn't actually supported anymore - the chances are that most links you find online will no longer work because the repositories no longer exist for Edgy.

ladr0n
June 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Yeah, unless you have a really wierd setup, you don't have anything to lose from upgrading to Hardy. You could even dual-boot edgy and hardy if you really aren't sure.