PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Removing Win98, repartition hda & adding /home information

ali_bongos_dad
June 27th, 2008, 08:37 PM
I'm presently dual booting Ubuntu Feisty Fawn and Windows 98 although I've not used Windows for over a year and I now want delete it and upgrade to Hardy.

My question is how do I delete Windows, keep the information held on Feisty's /home partition and repartition my hda so that / is at the beginning of the drive, where Windows used to be, then swap followed by /home,
then install Hardy and add the stored information in /home from Feisty?

Hope that's clear enough for everyone to understand.

Thanks.

housam
June 27th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Boot from ubuntu live cd and take a screen shot of Gparted image and post it . it will help putting the sequence of what you want.

Afkpuz
June 27th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Well, I know this isn't the only way, but just back up your homefolder information to a jump drive, then reinstall hardy over everything. However, there are other methods. That method works well as long as you make sure you copy everything you want/need onto a usb drive.

ali_bongos_dad
June 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks for the quick replies.
Here's the screen shot

housam
June 27th, 2008, 10:09 PM
If you already did backed up your data on /home partition sda4 then Use Gparted live cd (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php)to delete the fiest 3 partitions ( windows, swap & feisty ) leaving one unallocated space .
then divide this unallocated space to 2 new partitions ( ext3 format for the root / and a smaller one for the swap - swap = RAM if your ram is more than 1 GB )
during the installation choose the manual way and assign the / root partition.
Hardy will detect your /home partition during the installation.

ali_bongos_dad
June 27th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Of course!! It's blindingly obvious when you think about it. Thanks very much