PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Newly Installed Ubuntu Not Starting?

mirchichamu
June 27th, 2008, 08:36 PM
I installed Ubuntu. I am new to Ubuntu.Everything was ok. I started windows. after that I wanted to switched to Ubuntu. But it is not starting.It goes beyond the boot screen, But then stop before putting the user name and pass. Only there are lines on screen.

I am in trouble. I don't know what to do? Please help me.

overdrank
June 28th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I installed Ubuntu. I am new to ubuntu.Everything was ok. I started windows. after that I wanted to switched to ubuntu. But it is not starting.It goes beyond the boot screen, But then stop before putting the user name and pass. Only there are lines on screen.

I am in trouble. I don't know what to do? Please help me.

Hi and are you able to boot into recovery mode? It is usually the second choice from the grub when booting. If you boot recovery mode then you can try the command startx.

mirchichamu
June 28th, 2008, 01:40 PM
Thanks a lot. I tried that several times but of no use. I tried even to reinstall but that also failed. It is not going beyond Location.

I need further help pleaase.

overdrank
June 28th, 2008, 01:45 PM
Thanks a lot. I tried that several times but of no use. I tried even to reinstall but that also failed. It is not going beyond Location.

I need further help pleaase.

Hi and could you give us some system specs?
Have you checked the cd for errors and also MD5SUM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Samhain13
June 28th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Lines... could it be that your monitor is out-of-sync? When you hit CTRL-ALT-F1 can you get to a terminal screen?

mirchichamu
June 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Hi and could you give us some system specs?
Have you checked the cd for errors and also MD5SUM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

Thanks overdrank for your support. My computer Fujitsu-Siemens laptop with 1.7 centrino processor, 512 Ram and 80 GB Hard Disk.

Sorry I could not understand your MD5SUM, and how to check.

mirchichamu
June 28th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Lines... could it be that your monitor is out-of-sync? When you hit CTRL-ALT-F1 can you get to a terminal screen?

Thanks Samhain13 for your support. I didnot know that. At present I am on this forum through Windows. I will switch over to my desktop so that whaatever you ask, I can do that.

Samhain13
June 29th, 2008, 09:34 AM
So, what's happened? Were you able to get into a terminal by doing CTRL-ALT-F1?
Because if you can, I was going to suggest reconfiguring your x-server by typing (after you login):

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That will provide you with a walk-through (like a wizard) for setting-up yung xorg.conf. Hopefully, you can get to the Ubuntu graphical login screen when you're done.

Good luck. :)

mirchichamu
June 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
So, what's happened? Were you able to get into a terminal by doing CTRL-ALT-F1?
Because if you can, I was going to suggest reconfiguring your x-server by typing (after you login):

sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

That will provide you with a walk-through (like a wizard) for setting-up yung xorg.conf. Hopefully, you can get to the Ubuntu graphical login screen when you're done.

Good luck. :)
Thanks a lot Mr.Samhein13.
Yesterday I was busy with configuring my laptop until late night. Ultimately I succeeded to reinstall Ubuntu,because I was unable to log on.I tried whatever was suggested.

I am on my laptop now.But ubuntu will take time to learn properly. I am not familiar with the terminology. There are many packages available. I don't know what they are for? How can I select the packages?etc etc.

Samhain13
June 29th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Ah. Yeah, it's going to take some time to get comfortable. I've been using Ubuntu for the last couple of years and I still don't know a lot, just enough to get some work done.

As for the packages, it really depends on what you want to work on. You will notice that under the Applications mune, there's Add/Remove at the bottom. The applications that you can install/remove are grouped according to what you can use them for, like graphics, programming, etc. And clicking on one of the choices will give you a short description of that particular choice. To select, just click on the check box beside the choice, then click "Apply Changes".

You can try things out, keep what you like and remove what you don't like. :)