PDA

View Full Version : Windowmaker is quite cool.

xequence
October 30th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I just discovered window maker. It is in the repos... Well, I installed it and now I am using it. It is really quite remarkable even though it isnt talked about. It just seems... So intuitive. Does anyone else use it? What are your opinions? It is the only really fast window manager I found that is really useable. Wasnt it a part of gnome or something awhile ago? I dont know, I didnt know about linux back then =P

Also, does anyone know how to put links to launch programs on the right side, under the there buttons already there?

DoeRayMe
October 31st, 2005, 12:10 AM
What is the package name, as i cant find it?

thanks

aysiu
October 31st, 2005, 12:18 AM
The package name is wmaker, and I didn't find it intuitive at all (that may be just me). I guess I'm too used to the Windows/Gnome/KDE/XFCE way of doing things, but I couldn't even figure out how to log out or launch an application. I ended up having to do control-alt-backspace to get out of there!

xequence
October 31st, 2005, 12:21 AM
The package name is wmaker, and I didn't find it intuitive at all (that may be just me).
Yea, it is all preference.

I guess I'm too used to the Windows/Gnome/KDE/XFCE way of doing things, but I couldn't even figure out how to log out or launch an application. I ended up having to do control-alt-backspace to get out of there![/QUOTE]

You right click, choose run, type in the name of the program you want. It might get annoying for long names, or azureus, which is just annoying to spell. Thats why I want to find out how to put links on the right side ;)

There are some things I dont like... Like when a window is hidden, I dont like to have to right click on the icon at the bottom to unhide it. I wish I could just click on it, and if I wanted to do anything else I could right click for extra options.

DoeRayMe
October 31st, 2005, 12:31 AM
http://www.windowmaker.org/faq.html

That might help

majikstreet
October 31st, 2005, 12:57 AM
screenshot?

BWF89
October 31st, 2005, 01:54 PM
screenshot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WindowMaker

nsa_767
October 31st, 2005, 02:31 PM
Windowmaker is pretty old... That is why it is so fast, but I like it... Always used it on SuSE... I don't think it descended from Gnome or KDE... I think it predate them, or descended from NextSTEP or something... need to check their FAQ

Brunellus
October 31st, 2005, 02:53 PM
I still prefer fluxbox as my "really light but not really" environment. XFCE is the middle, and GNOME/KDE (take your pick) are the heavy hitters.

Wolki
October 31st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Also, does anyone know how to put links to launch programs on the right side, under the there buttons already there?

For stuff to put there, you might want to visit http://dockapps.org/.

Never was really happy with windowmaker though. :-/ Great stuff none the less.

bdash
October 31st, 2005, 03:35 PM
WindowMaker is old, yes, and it used to be the most advanced WindowManager before KDE and Gnome exist. It's a clone of the NextStep interface.

Some people like it, other don't... Personally I think the dock is eating too much space, I prefer the more flexible gnome-panel.

nsa_767
October 31st, 2005, 03:54 PM
I just discovered window maker. It is in the repos... Well, I installed it and now I am using it. It is really quite remarkable even though it isnt talked about. It just seems... So intuitive. Does anyone else use it? What are your opinions? It is the only really fast window manager I found that is really useable.

If you like windowmaker, you might want to try AfterStep....It looks similar, but is a little more recent (modern)... I'll try it over the weekend...

bdash
October 31st, 2005, 08:01 PM
If you like windowmaker, you might want to try AfterStep....It looks similar, but is a little more recent (modern)...

Afterstep is older than WindowMaker. Moreover it's basically a fork of FVWM while WindowMaker has been written from scratch, being then a (relatively) modern window manager.

xequence
October 31st, 2005, 08:54 PM
If you like windowmaker, you might want to try AfterStep....It looks similar, but is a little more recent (modern)... I'll try it over the weekend...

I got it from apt-get, but it didnt show up in my session menu when logging in.

Oh, and also, xfe is a good file manager for windowmaker. It is light and works well, and has the same look.

nsa_767
November 1st, 2005, 01:46 PM
Afterstep is older than WindowMaker. Moreover it's basically a fork of FVWM while WindowMaker has been written from scratch, being then a (relatively) modern window manager.

My apologies, I stand corrected.

regeya
November 30th, 2005, 07:42 AM

Not only that, but Window Maker (not WindowMaker...that's trademarked) started life as a rewrite of AfterStep! AfterStep, unless it's changed a lot, is based on FVWM1. So no, it's definitely not more recent, not by a long shot. :)

bonzodog
December 2nd, 2005, 12:41 AM
Windowmaker is back in development. They halted it for a few years, but they are now on 0.92. They have added anti-aliased font support,and a few other little widgets. The themes for it are awesome, and it's always been my favourite WM. It is derived from the GNUStep community, (http://www.gnustep.org/) which came out of the NEXT workstation community.

NEXT was folded into Apple, who utilised the chipsets for their own systems. It actually has it's own code base and tool-set (the WINGS toolkit), with file managers, IRC clients, and even login managers (2 - wdm and login.app). It is a very light WM, and is exceptionally fast but you have to get used to the STEP way of doing things. You right click anywhere on the desktop for your menu, and all others spring off that.
The set-up app includes a straight forward click and drag menu editor. I am putting up with just gnome at the moment on this system as i'm not sure whether adding Windowmaker actually modifies gdms session menu - thats a bich to edit by hand.

Iandefor
December 2nd, 2005, 01:41 AM
I just installed and am using it now. It's actually pretty slick. I don't particularly like the overzealous use of the right-click, but aside from this, I think I might actually consider keeping it as my primary WM...

benplaut
December 2nd, 2005, 03:14 AM
well... if i had a high-res screen that had space for those huge dockapps, i might try, but until then...