PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu is running in low-graphics mode

adobrakic
June 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I get this message when starting up. I tried pressing continue, but then the screen just turns black and I have to force a shutdown. I tried going into configure, but i couldn't find my specific graphics card (s3 prosavage ddr), and i found some generic one and pressed test, but then the screen went black again and i had to restart. Even when I press Shut Down, the screen just turns black and I gotta do a force shutdown.

This has happened before, but it only happens once and after I shut down, the problem is fixed. Any ideas?

Also, I'm running my windows partition now, that's how I'm able to get on the site.

philinux
June 27th, 2008, 07:21 PM
Boot up in recovery mode.

In the menu choose xfix, see if that helps.

adobrakic
June 27th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Alright, thanks.
In that case, I'll brb. :D

adobrakic
June 27th, 2008, 07:33 PM
This didn't work, I still get the low graphics mode popup

philinux
June 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Ok, well you need to login in low graphics mode and reinstall/re-enable your graphics driver.

Hang on try the previous kernel from grub if you've updated recently.

adobrakic
June 27th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The thing is that I can't. If I press "Continue," the screen just stays black and nothing happens. Maybe I should let it sit for a little longer. Thanks though, I'll try this.

adobrakic
June 27th, 2008, 07:56 PM
Yeah, nothing's working. I also tried to get on an older version in the grub menu. Is there anything I could do with the live cd, or will I have to format or something?

philinux
June 27th, 2008, 08:03 PM
You could have a look at your xorg.conf from the live cd. Also see if there are any backup files of it.

What do you think caused this in the first place?

adobrakic
June 27th, 2008, 08:16 PM
To be honest, I have no idea. I recently did

sudo apt-get update and

sudo apt-get upgrade

but it asked me to restart, which i did, and it worked fine then. Then I was on ubuntu and my keyboard went out (always does this-- p.o.s), and I had to restart, and that's when I started getting the low graphics mode popup.

You said to check the xorg.conf, but what would i specifically look for?

philinux
June 27th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Well if I remember there was an xorg update recently.

Just browse /etc/X11 for any xorg config files. Look at the date stamp for when your system was working and compare the files.

Before you boot the live cd do this. If you can get to recovery mode, get the command line and try startx and see if any error messages.

adobrakic
June 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
When i did startx, I got a "fatal error" and it said like no screen found or something. I can't remember what it exactly said, it had quite a bit of text on the screen.

When I tried booting up live cd, i got the low graphics mode pop up again, and pressed continue and let it sit for like 15 minutes, and nothing happened. I think I might have to format.