PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Nlite Xp Grub error 13 and no boot.ini

koidenouvo
June 27th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Hi,

I have first installed a slimed version of Xp on a 8 gb SSD and it worked as expected.

Then I have installed eeeXubuntu on a 4 gb SSD and Xp doesn't work anymore. Grub says error 13. I checked Xp boot.ini file since Xp was slimmed down. I can't find it.Does the fact boot.ini is missing might be the cause of lost Xp from Grub?

How to fix this without reinstalling Xp or worse a genuine version since I lack disk space and I really don't need most Xp function (just to connect Windows mobile...).

Cheers,

Pascal

koidenouvo
June 27th, 2008, 08:47 PM
Hi,

Just to make sure, Grub error 13 states : "Invalid or unsupported executable format" ... I'm thinking of this.

As boot.ini is gone (there is no way I can recreate it so it match my system???). The other way around, I reinstall Windows (still the slimmed version) on the same partition it was before and I should have a new Windows XP working with a boot.ini...

Then, I boot Xubuntu from a live cd and find grub/menu.lst and reconfigure it so I can find both Xubuntu and Xp on the next boot (provided no new parameters show up).

Will it be worth doing this?

Cheers -

Pascal

koidenouvo
June 27th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Okay,

I have to cool down my previous message/reply. I took the first step of reinstalling Windows Xp (lite) but the install Cd says the file system of drive ID0 is not compatible with Windows Xp MBR. The fact is that that drive (4 gig) is where Ubuntu is located. I do ask Windows to install xp on the 8 gig (by the way; both wears the same ID : ID0...) drive but it won't because of that message.

I think I'm getting close to delete everything, reinstall everything paying more attention and do the same mistake.

So?

unutbu
June 27th, 2008, 09:56 PM
I have a feeling meierfra. (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=552151)
could help you with this one, but he hasn't logged in for 2 days. He is usually here quite frequently. If you can wait a bit, I think he could help you.

Pumalite
June 27th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Check this link:
http://users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p15.htm#13