PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Burning Ubnutu to a dvd?

len1x
June 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM
What's up,
Got a quick question here, I'm planning on installing Ubnutu, I have ( ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso ).

I'm out of blank Cd's, all what I have here are Dvd blanks.. Can i burn that iso to a blank dvd and boot from it ? Or is burning on cd blank a must?

zeller
June 27th, 2008, 03:25 PM
I never have blank CD-R discs just laying around. I have plenty of DVD-R discs. I've never had a problem with burning an OS to a DVD and running it from that. Go ahead. The most harm it can do is waste unused space on the DVD. :)

len1x
June 27th, 2008, 03:28 PM
As I'm going to attempt the install after 5 hours, I'd like somebody that tried it ( or really knows ) if burning to a dvd works, to confirm it.

Thanks for the quick reply though zeller :)

P.S: Sorry for the typo in thread title :O

ajgreeny
June 27th, 2008, 04:29 PM
Even though I run ubuntu, I still use k3b as my CD Burner software (it's the best of all on any platform) and in that there is a "front page" option to burn a DVD iso image. That certainly works OK, even burning to a DVD-RW which some people seem to have troubles with. I never managed to get a CD image burned to a dvd using gnomebaker or brasero. Perhaps I never looked hard and long enough with those two.

earthmeLon
June 27th, 2008, 05:05 PM
My 8.04 "CD" is actually the CD ISO burned onto a DVD :D

It works just fine

VMC
June 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM
What's up,
Got a quick question here, I'm planning on installing Ubnutu, I have ( ubuntu-8.04-desktop-i386.iso ).

I'm out of blank Cd's, all what I have here are Dvd blanks.. Can i burn that iso to a blank dvd and boot from it ? Or is burning on cd blank a must?

To answer your question. Yes you can. In fact they work better. I usually burn using DVD+RW. And only burn DVD-R once I know I want to keep the distro, or whatever I burn. The only time I have any problems, is when my DVD starts going bad.