PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do Printers Work?

Johnathannn
June 27th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hey there, I have Ubuntu 8.04 installed and everything, now I need to configure my wireless Lexmark X6750 Printer... I have the setup cd, but I have NO clue what the hell to do with it!? I insert it into my Acer Aspire 5000 laptop, and I can view all the files on the cd, but don't know what to do with them... HELP!
Johnathannn

bumanie
June 27th, 2008, 03:26 PM
Unfortunately lexmark provide virtually no open source support and are sarcastically known as over-sized paper weights.

Johnathannn
June 27th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Oh, alright thanks for your response; I'm just disappointed Lexmark printers wont work... [-(

bumanie
June 27th, 2008, 03:38 PM
You could set up virtualbox running windows, but you would probably not be able to use wireless, but if you use the vbox binary, you should be able to get the lexmark working via usb.

MeeMaw
June 27th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Sorry, I have to agree with bumanie - many Lexmarks are not compatible with Linux... You HAVE tried going into System > Administration > Printing and seeing if you can set it up? You might get lucky..... I've heard they have been able to make some of them work. I had one that didn't - but it died and I bought an HP.
:)

wolfen69
June 27th, 2008, 04:15 PM
just a heads up: almost any HP printer will be detected and configured automatically. the day i got rid of my lexmark and got HP is the day i wiped xp from my machine. :-)

MeeMaw
June 27th, 2008, 04:22 PM
just a heads up: almost any HP printer will be detected and configured automatically. the day i got rid of my lexmark and got HP is the day i wiped xp from my machine. :-)

Yes, me too! :)

sattruckmark
June 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I have an Epson 320 printer connected via USB running on cups and a Brother 440cn Printer/Copier/Scanner/Fax that I connect to via wireless router.
Network scanning with the Brother is sometimes troublesome but it works most of the time. The Epson works without issues.

It did take me a while to get cups configured properly but all is well.

earthmeLon
June 27th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I used an old desktop (used to use my laptop) running Windows to connect to my Lexmark printer. Then I used the printer as a SAMBA share on the router.

But yeah, That was until I got my HP printer, which installed really nicely. My scanner even worked in GIMP immediately.