PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Samba Server?

Jim_in_Germany
June 27th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Hi there,

I have the following task:

I have to back up the contents of 3 Windows PCs (Word documents, excel sheets etc) on a regular basis.

At my disposal I have one PC which I am thinking of using as a file server.

All of the PCs have fixed IP addresses and thus any PC I use as a file server would automatically be available via the internet.

The backup process should be automatic.

My initial thought was to install Ubuntu and a Samba server on the PC I want to use as a file server and try to find a way to mirror the contents of "My Documents" from the Windows PCs to the server every time the computers are switched off. I thought of using the Microsoft tool "Synctoy" to do the actual copying.

Does anybody out there have any experience of this situation?

Is what I am trying to do realistic?

Are there any sites anywhere giving simple instructions on how to do this?

Thanks as ever for any answers.

Jim

superprash2003
June 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
yes.. very much realistic.. you could either have the file server run a script to take files from the windows pcs or you could have the windows pcs giving the files to the ubuntu machine.. since its a windows-linux interface samba would be the right choice..you could use the software you mentioned.. just setup samba server and create share.. then maybe mount the share as a drive on your windows pc.. and use the software you said..
For Reference:How to setup samba server http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-setup-samba-in-linux.html

jonabyte
June 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM
What about just storing the documents on the samba server and backing that up to say a portable hard drive.
Might be less work than trying to sync all the pc's to the one server.

Just a thought.

Jim_in_Germany
June 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the replies

you could either have the file server run a script to take files from the windows pcs
That sounds interesting. How could one do such a thing?
Do you know where I could look to get started?

For Reference:How to setup samba server http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/...-in-linux.html
Great tut. Cheers. Just my level!

What about just storing the documents on the samba server and backing that up to say a portable hard drive.
Might be less work than trying to sync all the pc's to the one server.
Also not bad, but would involve me being there too often.

superprash2003
June 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM
well create share of the client folder on the network.. and mount it on the server.. then use a tool called rsync to sync files and folders from the mounted folder to the local server