PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing GooggleEarth

jaygrice
June 27th, 2008, 02:31 PM
Hi y'all,
I've gotten rid of Windows after many years, now have an exclusive Ubuntu box and am feeling very good about the change, even with the learning curve. So far everything has worked out of the box, no problems that weren't answered in this forum. My question now---I did the googleearth install following threads posted here and it seems the installation did what it's supposed to do, however when I try to run it, either from terminal or by clicking it in Applications, all that happens is the google splash screen shows for a few seconds, then it reboots the computer. Any ideas why? Thanks
BTW--I tried to attach the code I copied and pasted for the installation but that didn't work :(

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 02:35 PM
This thread will help:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=841352

EDIT: Sorry I didnt read your post carefully. So you have problems in Google Earth.

You can ignore this post

drs305
June 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Did you install it via synaptic or manually install it? There have been numerous threads on both recently.

If you didn't do it via synaptic, that is the method I recommend. Uninstall if possible and then run these steps:

sudo wget http://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/hardy.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get update

Install Google Earth (this is a metapackage, no version number required. current version 4.3):

sudo apt-get install googleearth

If it was a synaptic install or it still doesn't work, let us know.

jaygrice
June 27th, 2008, 04:52 PM
Ok, I uninstalled via Synaptic, re installed with the code in above reply, rebooted, clicked on the icon in applications, the same thing happened(was kicked back to log in screen). Synaptic shows the package is there, but it doesn't want to cooperate.:(

Maybe I'm leaving out a step somewhere?

sydbat
June 27th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Might be a video driver issue. What video card are you using?

jaygrice
June 27th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Maybe you are right, however that app ran wonderfully when I was an XP user, same 'puter and hardware. So you'd think it would run in Ubuntu. Computer is a Vio laptop, 5 years old, i gig ram, nVideo Go?--(not sure). Thanks

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 08:04 PM
You first need to install the nvidia drivers.

Go to System->Administration->Hardware Drivers and install the nVidia drivers.

After this try running Google Earth again. Does this help.

EDIT: First what is the output of the following:

glxinfo | grep Direct

tubbygweilo
June 27th, 2008, 08:06 PM
System > Appearance > Visual Effects will show if any are in use, if so then turn them off as I find this has helped me when running GoogleEarth and it may even help you.

drs305
June 27th, 2008, 08:30 PM
The windows drivers and linux drivers are not identical and may not perform the same.

The nvidia drivers installed via envyng-gtk are more recent than the restricted drivers, at least in my case. You may want to try to install them via:
Install envyng-gtk:

sudo aptitude install envyng-gtk
Once installed, it's in the System Tools menu. There is also an Nvidia X Server Settings wizard in System, Admin - I think that is installed with the nvidia-settings package.

jaygrice
June 27th, 2008, 08:32 PM
OK,1st off the command "glxinfo" gives back nothing. 2nd I'm not using visual effects. Here are specs on vid card:
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: NV17 [GeForce4 420 Go]
vendor: nVidia Corporation
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: a3
width: 32 bits
clock: 66MHz
capabilities: pm agp agp-2.0 vga_controller bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=248 maxlatency=1 mingnt=5

This is so fun! Later

gandaran
June 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Maybe you are right, however that app ran wonderfully when I was an XP user, same 'puter and hardware. So you'd think it would run in Ubuntu. Computer is a Vio laptop, 5 years old, i gig ram, nVideo Go?--(not sure). Thanks

in windows xp, google earth can be run in two ways, you got a 3d video card, it runs in gl mode, no 3d video card, it runs in directx mode, now in ubuntu you only can run google earth with a 3d video card.

jaygrice
June 28th, 2008, 07:56 PM
OK, now I have a whole new problem--went to sys-admin-drivers and ticked the box to download the nVidia driver, after the install and reboot all I have now is a black screen. I got the boot option screen and can get the terminal--so how do I undo the driver install from there. If Google will only run in Ubuntu with 3D card, I'm probably SOL, but no great loss.:) Thanks for all the responses, it's impressive the amount of knowledge available and shared here!

drs305
June 28th, 2008, 08:04 PM
OK, now I have a whole new problem--went to sys-admin-drivers and ticked the box to download the nVidia driver, after the install and reboot all I have now is a black screen. I got the boot option screen and can get the terminal--so how do I undo the driver install from there. If Google will only run in Ubuntu with 3D card, I'm probably SOL, but no great loss.:) Thanks for all the responses, it's impressive the amount of knowledge available and shared here!

I don't know if the envyng-gtk package will run with your situation but you can do the install and see if it will launch some sort of gui or text mode that you can use.

sudo aptitude install envyng-gtk

jaygrice
June 28th, 2008, 08:34 PM
From recovery screen, terminal shell puts me at root. Do I want to try things from root or should I change dir to a safer place?

Vadi
June 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I believe some people should use the 4.2 version instead of 4.3 because 4.3 has some video driver issues. That's why medibuntu carries both

(hope you get your video problem solved soon)

bhadotia
June 28th, 2008, 08:40 PM
By default you will log in as root in recovery mode . And because your working with pakage manager you will need the root (superuser) privilages.
So stay like that. BTW, how are you browsing the net ( if you are in recovery mode, some other PC, I think you said you were completely into ubuntu).

diablo75
June 28th, 2008, 08:43 PM
I believe some people should use the 4.2 version instead of 4.3 because 4.3 has some video driver issues. That's why medibuntu carries both

(hope you get your video problem solved soon)

I can vouch for this too.

As for your "it's throwing me to a root terminal" problem, try running this from the command line:

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

It's pretty easy.... Though I would recommend you NOT use the kernel buffer when it asks you, as well as makeing sure you are using the driver called "nvidia".

Here's some more info if you need help:
http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/how_to_fix_your_computers_graphics_with_dpkg-reconfigure

bhadotia
June 28th, 2008, 08:44 PM
If you did:

sudo apt-get install googleearth
Then , by default the 4..2 version was installed (atleast that was the case with me). The package googleearth picks up the version 4.2 as a dependency .

jaygrice
June 28th, 2008, 10:09 PM
WOW! Finally got my desktop back,thanks to all the help (one problem solved). That brings me back to the orig.-getting goggleearth to load. If my video card isn't 3D it's a moot point anyway,correct? Here it is: NV17(GeForce4 420 Go)agp-2.0 vga. Nothing there about 3D tho.

Vadi
June 28th, 2008, 11:05 PM
Oi, yeah... that is a very old card.

jaygrice
June 29th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Finally got GoogleEarth to work, video display problems fixed and I'm happy as clam at high tide. Here's what worked for me-----I had called on my son(who has been a Linuxhead for years)to help, but he was camping in the mountains all week,out of touch. When he returned my calls he said he had faced the same problem and would try what worked for him. He did,it did! This is the fix:

sudo gedit [or use nano on the commandline] /etc/X11/xorg.conf
--under the “Device” section, add the following line:

Option “UseDisplayDevice” “DFP"

Reboot, cross fingers :)

That’s after enabling the Restricted Hardware Drivers for the Nvidia display, and before rebooting.

I hope this will help some other new user facing problems with older nVidia cards. And many thanks to all you people who offered help and support.):P