PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Ubuntu or Kubuntu...

masterjonny
June 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Dabbled in the world of Linux a few time and I've never really got far, but now I want to learn it properly before I start my computing course at uni.

Basically my question is this;
If you were me would you pick Ubuntu or Kubuntu, if you *much* preferred the Gnome UI, but kTorrent was the torrenting app you wanted to use?

I'm aware that I can run kTorrent in either environment, but I've heard their is extra overhead to do this, but I don't know how much.

The computer it would be running on is primarily a torrenter/seedbox, and has a 3.6 GHz pent 4, 2 GB of RAM and 1TB of storage space.

If my love of Gnome will really slow down my system I'll ditch it...but I don't know...opinions?

x

sharks
June 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM
i think u must use Ubuntu. its ur choice.

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I run gnome and have ktorrent and a couple of other kde apps I prefer.

If you prefer ubuntu use that - it's all about choice :)

masterjonny
June 27th, 2008, 01:54 PM
Hurrm, so the extra overhead to run a KDE app on Gnome isn't that big then?

(Love the quick replies on this forum :))

kpkeerthi
June 27th, 2008, 02:01 PM
GNOME would need to load (to RAM) additional KDE libraries required to run a KDE program. So you may notice KDE apps start a bit slower in GNOME.

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 02:16 PM
GNOME would need to load (to RAM) additional KDE libraries required to run a KDE program. So you may notice KDE apps start a bit slower in GNOME.

Yea that's about all I noticed and as amarok starts in sessions - the kettle is still boiling :)

I certainly wouldn't use kubuntu just because of a few apps I wanted - I'm afraid it would take a bit more thna that for me :)

OldTimeTech
June 27th, 2008, 02:36 PM
Also with 2GB of memory...you shouldn't have any problems running most programs...Linux doesn't need the amounts of memory Windows does ;)

masterjonny
June 27th, 2008, 02:46 PM
Cheers guys, fairly obvious answer apparently, Ubuntu it is :)

Love to all

x

the_darkside_986
June 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I like KDE but Kubuntu is definitely not one of the best KDE distros available. However, Ubuntu is the best Gnome distro I've tried. openSUSE makes a good KDE distro as long as you don't have a wireless card. 10.3 anyway, I haven't tried the new one.

bumanie
June 27th, 2008, 03:33 PM
I'd go for gnome. The majority of users, use gnome. I am of the understanding that at present kde 4 is still a bit bug ridden. Ifyou were touse kde, use kde3 until kde4 gets more stable.

sydbat
June 27th, 2008, 04:02 PM
I installed Ubuntu and then added KDE for those extraspecialtweaks. I also find that after installing KDE and associated libraries, things like Amarok run a bit quicker.