PDA

View Full Version : Bye Firefox!

hellmet
June 27th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Today, I uninstalled Firefox on my system on both Windows and Ubuntu. I'd have never imagined this day a few months ago.
Firefox has been very problematic for me on my 2.8Ghz Intel processor, with 1GB RAM. Takes an hour to load. It got stuck up often, messing up other programs too, while stuck up. Security on websites like Orkut has been really pathetic. Today, I tried opening my Google Apps website, when it say 'domain.com' is an application and asks me to save the file!!

Just filed the Feedback form, and now I'm using Opera on Ubuntu and Safari on Windows. I might think about Firefox after some time, when my anger cools off.

Edit: Looks like there are more disappointed people out there!!
See this (https://survey.mozilla.com/results/comments/?collection=&product=&start_date=&end_date=&show=50&sort=created&direction=desc&page=1)
I guess Firefox focussed more on the record rather than on the code. :mad:

mrgnash
June 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Runs like a dream on my system :)

ibutho
June 27th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Firefox 3 runs fine for me although I must admit that Opera feels a bit lighter on resources.

billgoldberg
June 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Today, I uninstalled Firefox on my system on both Windows and Ubuntu. I'd have never imagined this day a few months ago.
Firefox has been very problematic for me on my 2.8Ghz Intel processor, with 1GB RAM. Takes an hour to load. It got stuck up often, messing up other programs too, while stuck up. Security on websites like Orkut has been really pathetic. Today, I tried opening my Google Apps website, when it say 'domain.com' is an application and asks me to save the file!!

Just filed the Feedback form, and now I'm using Opera on Ubuntu and Safari on Windows. I might think about Firefox after some time, when my anger cools off.

See this (https://survey.mozilla.com/results/comments/?collection=&product=&start_date=&end_date=&show=50&sort=created&direction=desc&page=1)

I happy with ff3.

I just want to mention that running safari on windows is looking for problems.

chucky chuckaluck
June 27th, 2008, 01:26 PM

that record nonsense annoyed the asterisks out of me. i hate stuff like that. maybe we should go for the record for uninstallations.

gn2
June 27th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Since FF3 RC1 I haven't had a single problem with FF3.
I think it's excellent.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Firefox 3 runs fine for me although I must admit that Opera feels a bit lighter on resources.
I agree

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I did the same thing from the hardy beta tbh - ff3 was just really slow all of the time, spent a while with ff2 again but have settled on opera for the moment and all seem settled.

BigSilly
June 27th, 2008, 01:37 PM
I think it's excellent.

I've been using it since the beta which came with 8.04, and it's been great for the most part. Flash still crashes it, but other than that I'm really happy with it. It's very fast in general use, both loading up and browsing, and doesn't seem to pressure my poor system unduly at all. Surprised to see so many having problems.

wersdaluv
June 27th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Firefox 3 works for me. Delete your configuration files or make a new profile.

crimesaucer
June 27th, 2008, 01:49 PM
The Minefield rc1 felt better than the final release.

I've had crashing issues and slow start ups with very high cpu for the final version, and sometimes it just stalls on opening pages that usually open up immediately.

Zeotronic
June 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM
I dunno, Firefox 3.0 works wonderfully for me... I'm not keeping any startup times or RAM use numbers, but it seems to handle better than Firefox 2. I guess I'm not suprised that some people are having a ridiculus time with it though... it seems to me like half of my family managed to have a horrible time when I introduced them to the original Firefox... then and now, I just cant understand how 'you' manage to do it, but to each his own.

angry_johnnie
June 27th, 2008, 01:56 PM
I really liked firefox 2, but not 3. So I switched to Opera, while in kde, and Seamonkey, while in gnome. I could have settled for konqueror, but I like opera better. :-)

Firefox 3 may, and probably will, get better as it matures but, for now, I'll pass.

satbunny
June 27th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Do you have any add-ons or plugins installed?

They can often cause a lot of issues.

Try a completely clean install and no add-ons for a while.

I am using FF3 on Ubuntu, OS X and Windows XP SP3 and find it fine.

I've always had a soft spot for Opera too, but I'd avoid Safari on Windows right now, why not use Opera on Windows too?

Dixon Bainbridge
June 27th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I love the new version of opera. Still, for me, nothing better for browsing.

caravel
June 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM

To be honest people will always complain about something if they're unhappy, but will rarely speak out if they are happy. Those complaints make up a tiny minority and only a small few of the comments appear to be from users that have a clue about what they're doing.

I've used Firefox since migrating from Mozilla and have never had any problems. Version 3 is now running fine in both Ubuntu and Windows XP.

brons2
June 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
Do you have any add-ons or plugins installed?

They can often cause a lot of issues.

Try a completely clean install and no add-ons for a while.

I am using FF3 on Ubuntu, OS X and Windows XP SP3 and find it fine.

I've always had a soft spot for Opera too, but I'd avoid Safari on Windows right now, why not use Opera on Windows too?

I agree. I was having a lot of problems with FF2 in Windows with it pausing (or freezing I guess) while I was trying to type or scroll on web pages. I disabled all my add-ons and then it started running perfectly again.

reyfer
June 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I insist, there must be something wrong with mi Firefox install, because IT HAS NEVER CRASHED FOR ME, not once since FF2, I have never experienced the so called "Flash crash", sometimes, just sometimes, when I have A LOT of tabs open it freezes a little, but it happens only rarely, so...not sure what went wrong with my install

Bliepo32
June 27th, 2008, 02:37 PM
As said before, plugins or add-ons are most likely the cause of the problem. A friend of mine had around 100 add-ons installed, and was wondering why firefox was so slow. Well, this is why.

Trail
June 27th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Runs awesomely for me since beta4 (which I first tried).

Loads very fast, browses lightning fast, and has noscript, addblock and favloc. Nuff said.

saratchandra
June 27th, 2008, 03:36 PM

Same here

jeremy1138
June 27th, 2008, 03:46 PM
I've been using Firefox for years now and I've never had any problems. Did you try unloading your add-ons to see if there was some issue there?

hellmet
June 27th, 2008, 04:05 PM
I had only EditCSS and FireFTP. And no. I didn't try FireFox disabling them. If I have to disable them, then why have FireFox extensions at all?

And, I use Safari on Windows coz it loads a lot faster and has never ever stuck up. Opera doesn't do all that well on my system on Windows, when compared to Opera on Ubuntu.

Anzan
June 27th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Epiphany is worth trying.

FuturePilot
June 27th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Runs great for me.

Maratonda
June 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
I switched to Opera when FF3 was released, it's fast and light.

karellen
June 27th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Firefox 3 is just fine, it's been my primary browser in both Windows and Linux, and had no problems with it whatsoever. plus it seems a little faster than Firefox 2

Tomatz
June 27th, 2008, 05:59 PM
Firefox is ok, no problems but IMO opera is far better.

It just doesn't get in the way like firefox ;)

SomeGuyDude
June 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I started using FF3 on beta 2 and have been using it since then. Beautiful thing.

Greyed
June 27th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I had only EditCSS and FireFTP. And no. I didn't try FireFox disabling them. If I have to disable them, then why have FireFox extensions at all?

That's like saying, "gedit is having problems so I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu. If I have to use another editor in Ubuntu why have editors at all?"

It's diagnosis. Two common vectors of Firefox problems. Addons and a corrupted profile. The latter happens infrequently but it does happen. As for Addons the moz dev team don't control that code. So if the Addons are causing problems that is the realm of the individual Addon authors to fix. Direct your ire at them and not at the moz dev team. It's a tad more productive that way.

LaRoza
June 27th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Opera is the best browser, everyone should know that by now.

Oldsoldier2003
June 27th, 2008, 08:13 PM
That's like saying, "gedit is having problems so I'm going to uninstall Ubuntu. If I have to use another editor in Ubuntu why have editors at all?"

It's diagnosis. Two common vectors of Firefox problems. Addons and a corrupted profile. The latter happens infrequently but it does happen. As for Addons the moz dev team don't control that code. So if the Addons are causing problems that is the realm of the individual Addon authors to fix. Direct your ire at them and not at the moz dev team. It's a tad more productive that way.

+1 Though this is a CC post, I've seen so many posts like this in the tech support areas. It really makes me wonder why I even try to help folks :)

satbunny
June 28th, 2008, 10:49 AM

Because extensions are made by many third party people and they may either not be written well or (more likely) they interact poorly with the core system. So by removing them all and seeing if things improve helps to identify where the problem lies.

And, I use Safari on Windows coz it loads a lot faster and has never ever stuck up. Opera doesn't do all that well on my system on Windows, when compared to Opera on Ubuntu.

I am pleased to hear that Safari works well for you. My mileage varied but that was months ago and it will have moved on a lot since then.

robertchahine
June 28th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I think it's excellent.
i agree 2

hellmet
June 28th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Well. I guess its just me then. Anyway, part of my post was frustration, and like I said I might look into FF3 once I cool down. ( I might not if I'm happy with Opera though)

altariel
June 28th, 2008, 06:30 PM
as for the flash thing crashing firefox - maybe you could try the nspluginwrapper-solution - is documented here in the forum ...

etnlIcarus
June 29th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Mozilla have made one mistake with the release of Firefox 3.0: they haven't changed the profile directory.

The Songbird team, also working with Mozilla code, know how easy it is to bork profiles so they periodically change the default profile directory.

All over the net, I've encountered people bitching about FF3 and every single one of them have stopped complaining after creating a fresh profile and migrating their bookmarks, history, etc.

linuxisfree
June 29th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Epiphany is worth trying.

+1 for Epiphany here! I uninstalled my FF3 right after i installed my Ubuntu. (Just felt too bloated... slowing down much.) And now epiphany works just great for me!:D

tdrusk
June 29th, 2008, 02:58 PM
It's running great for me. I noticed that it runs much better when you have more memory or are using a lighter desktop.

etnlIcarus
June 29th, 2008, 04:06 PM
It's running great for me. I noticed that it runs much better when you have more memory or are using a lighter desktop.

I used to find nautilus drawing the desktop would cause all Gecko apps to slow down. Not sure if that's still an issue but the moment you killed any and all instances of Nautilus, there was a marked improvement in Firefox; Seamonkey; Songbird and Democracy Player.

robertchahine
June 29th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Opera is the best browser, everyone should know that by now.
with my respect, why that?

caravel
July 1st, 2008, 01:58 PM
The only add on that crashed on my FF3 when I had first installed it was the AVG one. Since disabling that, and then reinstalling AVG again no problems. This is another incidence of where add ons are to blame and not Firefox itself.

danny_galaga
July 18th, 2008, 03:26 PM
i too am having trouble with firefox using way too much resource. if i have more than 4 or so tabs open its a real pig. but even with just two its not lightning fast. everything else about it i think is great. i might try opera to compare its performance...

aaaantoine
July 18th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have no problems with Firefox 3, especially concerning resource consumption.

Now, you might think I'm just saying that because I have 4GB RAM, but it's simply not true. At the moment, Firefox 3 is using 178MB RAM, and--

Hmm. Maybe it is a resource hog...

MaxIBoy
July 18th, 2008, 04:41 PM
I like Firefox, although SeaMonkey and to a lesser extent Epiphany are a lot faster. Firefox works for me, though.

Darkade
July 18th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Been using FF3 since Hardy ALPHA 5, which I think was FF3 Beta 3 LOL and it works great! I want to try Opera, though but I haven't even installed it :P

EDIT: Hey! I just remembered that the Wii Browser is "Powered by Opera" and it is "decent" LOL I know it's not the same, that desktop version must have a LOT of features and that Wii probably has hardware limitations, so don't bring that up. Anyway I'll try opera, but I've read it ain't that great see (http://www.zdnet.com.au/reviews/software/internet/soa/Browser-faceoff-IE-vs-Firefox-vs-Opera-vs-Safari/0,139023437,339289417-1,00.htm) LOL

myusername
July 18th, 2008, 08:35 PM
i had a dream that i went to opera....so today im gonna start using opera full time

gletob
July 18th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Like I really care that you removed Firefox get over it people

myusername
July 18th, 2008, 09:09 PM
^you didnt have to read this thread you know...or post in it.

anyways im loving opera but i cant stand the postion of the tab bar could i move it below the address bar some how?

and i also dont like the menu bar at the top...could i get rid of it?

edit: got it all sorted out...it looks exactly like firefox now

bp1509
July 18th, 2008, 09:40 PM

Same here.

danny_galaga
July 19th, 2008, 01:22 AM
I have no problems with Firefox 3, especially concerning resource consumption.

Now, you might think I'm just saying that because I have 4GB RAM, but it's simply not true. At the moment, Firefox 3 is using 178MB RAM, and--

Hmm. Maybe it is a resource hog...

well, i only have 1Gb of RAM and firefox is using 30%. but thats not the problem for me. looking at the system monitor, the CPU fluctuates more and more to 100% until it stays there...

bruce89
July 19th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Like I really care that you removed Firefox get over it people

Same can apply to half the threads here.

crimesaucer
July 19th, 2008, 04:21 AM
The Minefield rc1 felt better than the final release.

I've had crashing issues and slow start ups with very high cpu for the final version, and sometimes it just stalls on opening pages that usually open up immediately.

... I had been using the linux i686 version from the Mozilla/Firefox site, then I installed the firefox version from my Archlinux repositories (actaully minefield), and it worked much better.(before I broke that computer)

Now that I'm on my new computer (with a Turion 64x2 TL60), I am using the Swiftfox version for my AMD processor. No problems at all.