PDA

View Full Version : So what's up with my new computer?

miggols99
June 27th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I recently build my own computer, and it was working fine..until suddenly in Windows I kept getting BSODs and Debian/openSUSE kept crashing. I really don't know what is wrong with it. The only thing I added was a wireless card, but even without it it does the same thing. What do you think is wrong?

(I'm running a memtest at the moment..tell you the results in a min..)

UPDATE: The memtest is going mad! When I put it to beep on error it beeped constantly!

fatality_uk
June 27th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Overheating? A possibility.

miggols99
June 27th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Don't think so. In the BIOS it has ok temperatures. 50 degrees for the processor) and ~37 degrees for the mobo ok?

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
If you've been in and fitted a new card I would open the case and just make sure all the cables/connectors are secure still.

aeiah
June 27th, 2008, 11:13 AM
how's the powersupply? powerful enough, cooling properly etc? do a full system test if you arent testing anything but the memory.

is it grounded properly? has everything been plugged in securely? its best to test the simple things first.

regomodo
June 27th, 2008, 11:23 AM
`

miggols99
June 27th, 2008, 11:29 AM
Ahh! I think the memory's bad. When I tested it and put it to beep on error, it went mad! What can I do? Send it back to get a new one? Or should I try the other slot?

shad0w_walker
June 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM
If you have more than one bar of RAM, take them all out, try them one at a time to determine where the error is. I had a stick of RAM fail in my media centre and memtest gave me constant errors, but it turned out to be the stray 256Mb bar I found and put in, the rest was fine.

Elfy
June 27th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Ahh! I think the memory's bad. When I tested it and put it to beep on error, it went mad! What can I do? Send it back to get a new one? Or should I try the other slot?

If this is all tied up with your recent thread looking for where to get parts from - I would return it to the supplier.

miggols99
June 27th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Nope, only one stick. So do you think I should return it? It's from aria.co.uk.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Nope, only one stick. So do you think I should return it? It's from aria.co.uk.

Confirm whether it is really damaged. Try to plug it in another compatible PC to check.

miggols99
June 27th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Yup, it's damaged alright. On my other computer I got exactly the same symptoms..looks like I'll be sending it back then. Do you think I should get a better quality one instead of the Aria one?

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
Check whether it is under warranty and replace it. If it is not under warranty buy from a more reputed brands. In my country OCZ and Corsair are most repited. YOu may check out for those.
And yes if possible, buy 2 ram sticks instead of one. I mean 2 X 1GB sticks instead of a 2Gb stick, so that you can run them in dual-channel mode and get better performance.