PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] Hardy install CD verification check failing

SumnerBoy
June 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM
Hi,

I am having real trouble getting a Hardy install to work. I have tried downloading the server ISO from 3 different mirrors and even tried a torrent.

I have burnt about 8 different CDs and the MD5 check passed all of them, but each time I run the install CD verification if fails, at different packages/files - but usually in the first 10% of the check.

I have tried burning with two different drives and even tried doing the install/verification on two different machines, they all fail the same.

Now - I have a Gutsy CD I burnt last year which I did my initial Ubuntu install from and this CD works fine - it passes all checks.

The CD for the Gutsy is a different brand than the ones I have been using with the Hardy ISO, so I guess that is the only thing left to try. Is this likely?

FWIW - I have been burning (all 8 times) at the slowest speed my drive would allow me.

I am tearing my hair out here - any tips or suggestions will be warmly welcomed!

The really frustrating thing is that I downloaded Hardy a few months back and was able to upgrade/install no problem. When I tried to re-use this CD I got the MD5 check failure. So I figured the CD must have deteriorated - so burnt another, and another, and none seemed to work. This was on the same brand of CD I have been trying today.

So assuming the ISO on the web hasn't changed, I can't see why I am now having trouble. My hardware is the same, apart from a new CF->SATA adaptor and new 8GB CF card (as the other ones died - and hence the need to reinstall!) which I am installing onto.

However I can't see that having any bearing on things - since it is failing on the CD verification.

Help!?!?!

Edit: my hardware is a Mini-ITX motherboard with a 1GHz C7 processor. 1GB ram. I have a 160GB HDD and the 8GB CF card via a CF->SATA adaptor. I have a slimline CD drive. Not sure if that helps at all. I am trying to install the Hardy server edition.

Vivaldi Gloria
June 27th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I don't know why the server cd fails for you. But you can try the mini cd:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

This is an about 10MB iso cd which downloads everything during installation. So if you have a decent net connection you can try it.

SumnerBoy
June 29th, 2008, 02:24 AM
Thanks Vivaldi - that worked! Took a bit longer to install obviously, but at least I have my box back. Would love to know what is wrong with those ISOs though...