PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Get XUBUNTU to look a bit like dreamlinux

baronne
June 27th, 2008, 09:59 AM
I know this sound ridiculous, but I do like the look and feel of Dreamlinux. I'd prefer to stick with Xubuntu, so all I'm really after is a way of using a dock bar in the same way as they have. I tried it with Avant but it didn't quite look the same and with XFCE you don't appear to be able to drag icons onto the dock (or anywhere for that matter). I'm also a little confused as to whether Dreamlinux is using Avant or Enlightenment Engage.

Can anyone give me some tips to pimp my Xunbuntu XFCE?

cheers,
Baronne

sanus|art
June 27th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Isn't Dreamlinux has XFCE or Gnome option upon install?

baronne
June 27th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I think so... the problem is I haven't had any success installing DL on a pen drive so I can install it on my CDROM-less HP laptop.

sanus|art
June 28th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Have you tried something like this (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=427540)?

dizee
June 29th, 2008, 02:59 AM
I know this sound ridiculous, but I do like the look and feel of Dreamlinux. I'd prefer to stick with Xubuntu, so all I'm really after is a way of using a dock bar in the same way as they have. I tried it with Avant but it didn't quite look the same and with XFCE you don't appear to be able to drag icons onto the dock (or anywhere for that matter). I'm also a little confused as to whether Dreamlinux is using Avant or Enlightenment Engage.

Can anyone give me some tips to pimp my Xunbuntu XFCE?

cheers,
Baronne
the last time i tried dream linux it was using enlightenment's engage as the dock.

you can set up an xfce panel to act as a dock easily enough though. right click on a panel (make a new one if you want), click "Add to Panel" and select "Application Launcher". double click this or drag it to where you want it. you will then be left with a blank launcher. however, right-click on it to edit it and then the trick is to open the Xfce appfinder (Accesories > Appfinder) and drag program(s) on to the launcher properties. you can get it acting like a regular launcher or as a "drawer" in that if you click on it, it opens the first program, but there's an arrow beside it which if clicked opens a little menu with other program launchers on it. check out the zenwalk desktop for an example:
http://www.zenwalk.org/images/screenshots-zenwalk-5.2/screenshot-zenwalk-5.2-desktop.png

hope this helps.

baronne
June 29th, 2008, 10:21 PM
cheers dizee,
yeah that is a good suggestion and will check it out. I have managed to get Dreamlinux installed but not having much success getting wireless working. This is a man's basic needs you know what I'm sayin' ?
So to that end, I feel a distrohop coming on...!!
Baronne

joesnose
July 3rd, 2008, 06:33 PM
i would like to do the same thing, i am currently on xubuntu hardy heron 8.04, and i would love to have the engage dock installed, i did install dreamlinux today, but had the same issue with it not working with my wireless, and it just wasn't xubuntu, lol. i'm becoming a snob, so just bumping this thread up, is it possible, engage in xubuntu?

baronne
July 4th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Well... my distro hopping is over for now... I've settled again with Linux Mint - it's just beautiful and it works. I've gone for the AWN dock which you can have like a Mac - one thing I had to do first was to enable Compiz by installing the fusion-icon package in Apt Package Manager.
check it out dude...
cheers
baronne

joesnose
July 4th, 2008, 02:53 PM
unfortunately my laptop doesn't support compiz fusion, i am using the awn dock, but i just don't like it much, i love the engage dock, but gos and dreamlinux just don't quite cut the mustard with me. i'll keep searching.

baronne
July 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
what spec is your laptop? Mine didn't for some reason, then I installed the fusion-icon as I mentioned before and that kicked compiz life into my Pentium M 1.6GHz HP laptop.