PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04 Install Problem initramfs Busybox fix (SOLUTION)

Kukui
June 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
SOLUTION for Ubuntu 8.04 installation that results in Busybox initramfs command line annoyance.

After looking around and only finding clues to try to fix MY busybox problem, which weren't working, I tried something else that DID work for my much older VAIO that is over 6 years old, the DVD ROM doesn't read disks reliably, and there is no USB Boot option... I told you it was old.

The solution was in the BIOS, but since this machine only has IDE drives and no way to configure RAID, the setting to change was to change:

"ENABLE Plug and Play OS" to "DISABLE Plug and Play OS"

I rebooted with the normal installation option in the Ubuntu boot loader (ESC key) and it proceeded with the install with no problem.

I suspect the Plug and Play OS option in the BIOS was throwing the NTFS dirty flag.

This is just another option for those trying to install Ububtu and getting this problem.

BTW, I installed Ubuntu with the WUBI loader from a USB stick from within Windows XP. This machine only has 384MB RAM and a 700MHz processor.