View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] The old guitar learning sofware question!

June 27th, 2008, 07:56 AM
I see this question has been ask a hundred times, but I can't find an answer that suits me.

I have been playing for about a year, so I know how to read tabliture...ha! just dont know how to spell it! lol, anyway, I want something that is open source. Not so much because it is free,(I'm sure there are good programs cheap) but thats not the point, it's because of the spirit of open source. I hope to one day get rid of all non-free crap on my PC.

anybody, any and all answers are welcome and appreciated, just looking for opinions here.

June 27th, 2008, 08:16 AM
Hi, you can use Tuxguitar to read powertabs and guitar pro tabs. You can download Tuxguitar at

Or it's also available in Synaptic so

sudo apt-get install tuxguitar

And if you want different some different guitar programs then you can try going to

and doing a search for guitar

June 27th, 2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks whitethorn, I had read about tuxguitar, but was a little :confused: about it, but with that, I'll give it a shot.

Just re-checked synaptic, couldn't find it the first time. thats what made me question it. but it is installed now.

Aww, it has a lil penguin with a guitar in my lil AWN thing...I love it now. if I can just figure out what to do with it.

June 27th, 2008, 09:29 AM
oh darn it, just got a good look at it, and I would bet that it is awesome for a real musician, but I just want something simple, I will check it out more, but just lookin at it, seems more complex than the guitar itself.
On the other hand, my nephew is an awesome up and coming musician, and I am sure he will love it. can't wait to show him. he's been playin about 15 years, written some songs that I really like.

June 27th, 2008, 10:30 AM
anyone know of any good sites where you can look up how to play a song, chords, tabs, whatever, just something you dont have to read for 3 days to figure out. dont get me wrong, I will take advantage of that asap

June 27th, 2008, 02:08 PM
i say stick with tux guitar - its helping me learn (though i know it looks complex). get some power tabs from here http://www.guitarprotabs.org/, double click them and they'll open in tux. if they dont, right click them and select 'open with'.

the lines in tux represent the guitar strings, and the numbers what fret to put your finger on.

you can even press the play button and have tux play the song to you!

im just learning to play too, and i say tuxguitar is worth investing time in.

see also this website

no software, but some youtube based video lessons.

good luck!

June 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM
lol...Good stuff!

and I better go ahead and mark this solved even though the discussion could go on and on!

June 28th, 2008, 07:25 PM
he he now I had to mark it unsolved to get some answers to this Question, probably not the correct way to do things. but anyway

Does anyone know how I could get this song to work with tuxguitar...

and/or Garth Brooks, "More than a Memory" which I haven't even found the lyrics and chords to yet.

Note: just in case anyone(other guitar players) out there care.
I actually started playing about 3 yrs ago, but didnt pick it up for the last year and a half, but I am really enjoying it again! :)

June 21st, 2009, 04:36 PM
guitar chords galore, enjoy.

i find the top link the best for me u can tick to show chord diagrams, also use advanced search to look for chords only

June 21st, 2009, 06:07 PM
Torrent some guitar instructional videos by Paul Gilbert. I learned a lot from those :D. Or you could just search them on YouTube. There are a lot of amateur instructional videos out there which could also be song specific.

Also, stick to Tuxguitar as it is good software released under GPL. Just look for .gp# files for the particular songs that you like. I sometimes print out the tabs so I wouldn't have to open my machine everytime I want to study them.