PDA

View Full Version : Music Players

dinomite89
June 27th, 2008, 06:22 AM
Hey,

Just want to get a feel for whats out there, so what music player do you use and why?

PrimoTurbo
June 27th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Winamp.

because "it really whips the llama's ***"

Out.

But seriously Sonota & MPD, because it's fast and integrates well.

FuturePilot
June 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Banshee. It just rocks. Music and video support.

NovaAesa
June 27th, 2008, 07:08 AM
Exaile lately. Sometimes I use Amarok though.

perlluver
June 27th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Rhythmbox, love the feeling of it. And the fact that it has crossfading. I know Amarok does too, but I am using Gnome, and have a great hate for KDE. No flamewars please.

forger
June 27th, 2008, 07:23 AM
I use rhythmbox :)

MONODA
June 27th, 2008, 07:45 AM
audacious or cplay, I LOVE CPLAY!!!

neoAnderson
June 27th, 2008, 07:54 AM
smplayer - audio video support - plays almost everything OOTB.

atomkarinca
June 27th, 2008, 07:55 AM
MPD + GMPC. Very simple yet powerful.

FranMichaels
June 27th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Audacious (http://audacious-media-player.org/index.php?title=Main_Page)

I don't miss WinAMP anymore thanks to it, and it can play plenty of those crazy chiptunes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiptunes) I enjoy :KS

FFighter
June 27th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I like Rythmbox, it does the job really well. But I honestly think Windows Media Player 11 is the best multimedia player available.

dizee
June 27th, 2008, 08:56 AM
amarok for playing stuff out of my music collection, audacious for internet radio streams and various files.

the moodbar plugin for amarok is very cool, and actually useful for seeing where those pesky hidden tracks are.

mikjp
June 27th, 2008, 09:00 AM
mp3blaster -- my favourite console music player, it uses a nice ncurses -interface.

ogg123 -- for playing ogg-encoded files on the command line.

I like to keep things simple, and prefer lightweight solutions over huge KDE or GNOME applications.

Greetings,

mikko

billgoldberg
June 27th, 2008, 09:58 AM
Hey,

Just want to get a feel for whats out there, so what music player do you use and why?

I use exaile to play music and bmpx for it's radio chanels.

LMP900
June 27th, 2008, 11:05 AM
For Ubuntu, I use Rhythmbox. I know it's not the most powerful music player out there, but it's my favorite of the Gnome players.

For Windows and Mac OS X, I use iTunes.

tbroderick
June 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
decibel audio player and last.fm player

tdrusk
June 27th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I use audacious. It's great. It's specifically a music player. I load all my music into a playlist and press j to search for bands that I want to listen to. It's really fast too.

Zenze
June 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM
I like Exaile, but Rhythmbox is good too.

Visti
June 27th, 2008, 03:17 PM
Banshee. Last.fm support, podcasting and it's lighter than for example Amarok, which I would use otherwise.

doorknob60
June 27th, 2008, 03:18 PM
Amarok <3

Brynster
June 27th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Songbird

www.songbirdnest.com

Marvelous little player, web browser. Has a marvelous feature of searching any page your on and finding music on there and allows you to play it.

andrewabc
June 27th, 2008, 07:02 PM
I use Audacious.

For me their website has been down for a month or more which sucks.
Anyone else notice their website is down or is it just me?

EDIT:
I used google cache to find their irc channel. They say it is working. So my ISP must be blocking the page for some reason.

wrtpeeps
June 27th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Amarok. Though can someone tell me how I stop it from showing the wee blue window everytime it changes track. :confused:

5m0k3
June 27th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Amarok. Though can someone tell me how I stop it from showing the wee blue window everytime it changes track. :confused:
Settings, Configure Amarok, OSD. Uncheck "Use On-Screen-Display"

ladr0n
June 27th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I use aplay, because gui's are for the weak.

In all seriousness, though, Banshee is awesome. I never thought I'd find something I liked more than Amorok, and then Novell chucked banshee at me. Sweet.

wrtpeeps
June 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Settings, Configure Amarok, OSD. Uncheck "Use On-Screen-Display"

Thanks!

adityakavoor
June 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM
exaile

mthei
June 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I recently switched back to Audacious from XMMS. It's come a long way since 1.3.x. I've used MPD for a while, but I need something that doesn't only play what's in a certain directory, as I use it for podcasts as well.

helliewm
June 27th, 2008, 09:02 PM
I am using Tunapie in conjunction with Exaile. Tunapie is a directory browser for internet radio. You can search for internet radio station. The search facility brings up more station than are listed.

In Tunapie you set up your music player you want to use, for example Exaile.

When you want to discover a new station go to Tunapie search for it click play and Exaile or your Music Player of choice will be launched playing the internet station you choose. You can then save the station in either/or/both Tuna Pie and Exaile/your Music Player.

Tunapie can also record/rip radio station to your Hard Drive for you too. Key thing to remember is to use the search facility in Tunapie as it brings millions of stations.

Tunapie is in the repos.

Helen

flytripper
June 27th, 2008, 09:06 PM
gmusicbrowser

chucky chuckaluck
June 27th, 2008, 09:16 PM
i like cplay the best. i used to use mpd, but it's always a pain in the butt to setup. if i'm window manager hopping, i'll just run cplay in screen and i don't lose what i'm listening to. today, i've been trying foobar2000 in wine. it's ok, but i don't get the "i'd leave windows altogether, but i'd miss foobar too much" mentality. i guess we all have our little 'just rights'.

mazz72
July 1st, 2008, 09:09 AM
I like Rythmbox, it does the job really well. But I honestly think Windows Media Player 11 is the best multimedia player available.

I'd have to agree. I'd love to find something for ubuntu that has all the features of wmp11. i was thinking about using wine to use wmp in ubuntu, but i really don't want to litter my new os with windows crap. :shrug: