PDA

View Full Version : What is the relationship between M$ Windows and Ubuntu?

eHobayyeb
June 27th, 2008, 05:43 AM
The answer is as simple as this:
They all force you to keep a mail client of their CHOICE!
Isn't it?

lisati
June 27th, 2008, 05:45 AM
I disagree: None of the flavours of Ubuntu I've checked out have Outlook or Outlook Express.

Neither Mr Gates or any of his company's employees have any direct say in the choice of mail client on my system.

I think we need to get the flame-resistant clothing out here.......

ukripper
June 27th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Isn't it?

Not really! You can always get another mail client from repos. Besides you got mail command line client also installed by default.
So here you go, you got choice of two by default in ubuntu.

And it is one click away to install your favourite mail client from repos.

Canis familiaris
June 27th, 2008, 01:09 PM
The relation b/w Windows XP and Ubuntu -> They both are Operating Systems

gn2
June 27th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Don't like Evolution?

Simple answer, use Synaptic Package Manager to uninstall it.

sharks
June 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
i think there is less relationships and huge DIFFERENCES.

lisati
June 27th, 2008, 01:14 PM
the Relation B/w Windows Xp And Ubuntu -> They Both Are Operating Systems

:) +1

Zeotronic
June 27th, 2008, 02:17 PM
Wait, you had to keep Outlook in Windows? I dont remember that... I only remember that you had to keep Internet Explorer.

fatality_uk
June 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
What a crock of happy horse *****

ukripper
June 27th, 2008, 02:26 PM
Wait, you had to keep Outlook in Windows? I dont remember that... I only remember that you had to keep Internet Explorer.

Outlook Express comes by default in XP. i guess OP means that

Mr. Picklesworth
June 27th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Wait, you had to keep Outlook in Windows? I dont remember that... I only remember that you had to keep Internet Explorer.You don't. Windows doesn't even come with Outlook until Vista, which has Windows Mail.

Besides this, Mr OP is misunderstanding the "choice" word. No Linux based operating system is designed for absolute customization before even being installed. That is called a development environment. Smart people do not distribute development environments to end users and call them finished products, especially not in "selectable" chunks. Instead, they distribute finished, cohesive products and expect the end users to choose the one of many finished products that works best for them.

Edit:
And I am certain XP does not come with Outlook Express, since Microsoft dropped support of that program officially a few years ago.

ukripper
June 27th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Edit:
And I am certain XP does not come with Outlook Express, since Microsoft dropped support of that program officially a few years ago.

The one i had with Acer laptop is XP PRO SP2 CD and when I formatted my mates machine it had OE express by default after installation.

Mr. Picklesworth
June 27th, 2008, 02:41 PM
Ah, you are correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express). `my bad :oops:
I wonder what I'm mixing it up with? ...

Trail
June 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
I think the mathematical relationship is:

Ubuntu*Ubuntu - Windows*Windows > Ubuntu > 0

OldTimeTech
June 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Besides even if you have Outlook express on your machine....doesn't mean you can't use webmail....which doesn't have to have anything to do with M$

ukripper
June 27th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I think the mathematical relationship is:

Ubuntu*Ubuntu - Windows*Windows > Ubuntu > 0

Adding to that:

1 * ubuntu^1 = Windows^ 100000000

tuebinger
June 27th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Isn't it?

???

I've used many different email clients in both Windows and Ubuntu.

beercz
June 27th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Re: What is the relationship between M$ Windows and Ubuntu?
Is there a relationship?

And who cares?

NovaAesa
June 27th, 2008, 05:22 PM
I always thought a relationship was a subset of the cartesian product of two other sets :S

wrtpeeps
June 27th, 2008, 05:38 PM
Ah, you are correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express). `my bad :oops:
I wonder what I'm mixing it up with? ...

Perhaps you are thinking of Outlook, the one that gets installed when you install Office?

I must point out that Windows Mail (the vista one) is actually a decent mail app.

oldsoundguy
June 27th, 2008, 05:56 PM
many of you have missed the boat! I use Firefox and Thunderbird in MS XP .. and have installed both of them in Ubuntu. (along with Opera and IE (yes IE) for those really kludged sites written by idiots using the MS site composing tools .. the sites that ONLY work with IE!)

Because of the Netscape fiasco of a few years back, Windows is forced BY LAW to allow the use of third party browsers and eMail clients. I have 4 browsers installed in XP .. great for checking that HTML code. AND three eMail clients.

I will not venture an opinion on Evolution (the Outlook clone), as I have not used same and have moved it out of the default on Ubuntu. (But, I may give it a shot one of these days.)

Spike-X
June 28th, 2008, 04:12 AM
Isn't it?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Spike-X/375997570_cb0febf477.jpg

Woormy
June 28th, 2008, 05:19 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/Spike-X/375997570_cb0febf477.jpg

Oh god, I had to save that pic. Priceless!

Saint Angeles
June 28th, 2008, 05:54 AM
well there is an army of protagonists known as the "Linux Army" with many soldiers. one of the most powerful is called "Ubuntu" and he has many siblings.

the antagonists are a group called "Microsoft" with a large weapon they call "Windows"... also, there is Mac with the "OS X" soldier but he's a wimp.

so thats the relationship. we're in a war.

if you're not with us, you're against us.

atomkarinca
June 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM
I always do a minimal install and then build up with applications I want. Can you do that in Windows?

JT9161
June 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I always do a minimal install and then build up with applications I want. Can you do that in Windows?

With something like TinyXP yes. but I dont know of any minimal install option on a of the shelf paid for install disc.

starcannon
June 28th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Never seen a linux distro yet that would presume to force a particular mail client upon its end users. I have noticed a disturbing trend to use open source alpha ware when perfectly good and free of financial obligation commercial ware exists. But the trend is to have it as a default option, not the only option.

The wonderful thing about linux is it really is freedom, while a distro may make suggestions with its suite of default applications, it does not limit one to those applications.

And finally, if somehow (and I don't know how since there are so many to choose from) you could not find a mail client in linux that was just what you always wanted, you can of course create your own, and as fortune would have it, every tool you would ever want or need to do so is available for free right here in linux.

eHobayyeb
August 19th, 2008, 08:06 PM
How to do a minimal install??

Riffer
August 19th, 2008, 08:24 PM

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=298835
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/LowMemorySystems

koenn
August 19th, 2008, 08:25 PM

you need the ubuntu server, alternate, or mini install CD to do that.
here are some instructions to get you through the installation process

http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/howto/linux/ubuntuexpert.htm

master5o1
August 19th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Adding to that:

1 * ubuntu^1 = Windows^ 100000000

# N(w) is average number of viruses per Windows system.
N(w) = w^(1x10^8) # Number of viruses of windows^100M.
1*Ubuntu^1 != N(w)

If you have windows^100M then you also have number of viruses^100M.

Ubuntu doesn't have any so is not equal to Windows^100M.

Vivaldi Gloria
August 19th, 2008, 10:30 PM

See also my sig.

darkazurka
August 21st, 2008, 11:20 PM
The philosophy of free software/open source and open standards and open/free content has engulfed my life, but at the end I'm ok with it.

I many times think of switching to Windows, but I think will never do it because it's closed source. I like projects only that give a chance for community created efforts.

This is making life difficult for me, but I I'll try to get used to this way of life. For example a few minutes ago Ubuntu crashed, and I did ctrl plus alt plus backspace to "restart", it's not Ubuntu to blame but maybe some memory hungry apps.