PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to get better Flash?

keiichidono
June 27th, 2008, 03:29 AM
I am disgusted at how Adobe is ignoring us Linux users. Don't call the piece of poo they give us that freezes after 2 seconds and freezes Firefox "support" that just a pile of poo. Is there any way we can petition to get better flash support? I know about Flash 10 having Ubuntu support but knowing them they'll take their sweet time. Isn't there a petition website thing we would sign up on and voice our anguish?

FFighter
June 27th, 2008, 03:56 AM
You might start by voting in the Linux Flash Player bugs on their Jira Bug Database. See my signature.

Btw, it **is** getting better. But we need to be more pro-active and demand better software instead of just ignoring and pretending Flash does not matter.

LaRoza
June 27th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I am disgusted at how Adobe is ignoring us Linux users. Don't call the piece of poo they give us that freezes after 2 seconds and freezes Firefox "support" that just a pile of poo. Is there any way we can petition to get better flash support? I know about Flash 10 having Ubuntu support but knowing them they'll take their sweet time. Isn't there a petition website thing we would sign up on and voice our anguish?

Yes, use Moonlight (Microsoft's Silverlight port to Linux).

Not that I think Moonlight/Silverlight is good, but I think competition is good for improving Flash. Now that Adobe isn't alone and the number one used operating system comes with silverlight and not Flash, they should be taking users for granted a little less.

FFighter
June 27th, 2008, 04:04 AM
Yes, use Moonlight (Microsoft's Silverlight port to Linux).

Not that I think Moonlight/Silverlight is good, but I think competition is good for improving Flash. Now that Adobe isn't alone and the number one used operating system comes with silverlight and not Flash, they should be taking users for granted a little less.

I respectfully disagree.

It is not that simple. I can't just throw the Flash Player away and start using Microsoft Silverlight. If you are a Flash developer, how will you make a living? Switching to Silverlight? And if you are a consumer of Flash content, how are you supposed to enjoy the myriad of Flash content currently available on the web? Using Silverlight?

I agree that Adobe should turn their resources into making Flash a first-class citizen in all the major OSes, and this includes Linux, of course. But ignoring it won't solve the problem.

aktiwers
June 27th, 2008, 04:30 AM
I have not tested it myself, but maybe the Flash10 beta works better?
http://tombuntu.com/index.php/2008/05/16/test-drive-flash-player-10-beta-in-ubuntu/

FFighter
June 27th, 2008, 04:31 AM
It does.

zmjjmz
June 27th, 2008, 04:32 AM
I'm using it now, and it works quite well.
It doesn't peg any procs.

saxuntu
June 27th, 2008, 05:07 AM
My experence with Linux and Flash differs depending on the gpu. On my nvidia box flash is horrible. On my two Intel boxes flash is fine. Might not be an Adobe issue.

YaroMan86
June 27th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Well, I run an nVidia machine.

Flash 9 never caused me problems, and Flash 10 Beta isn't either.

Maybe its some other hardware?

keiichidono
June 27th, 2008, 05:15 AM
Is the freezing/crashing gone in Beta 10? I've heard that it's pretty good and i'm willing to give it a shot.

madjr
June 27th, 2008, 08:54 PM

see my sign

chucky chuckaluck
June 27th, 2008, 09:01 PM
since i've been using opera 9.5, instead of firefox, i haven't had any flash craches.

Barrucadu
June 27th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I'm not sure what you mean, Flash 9 worked (now using Flash 10 beta) perfectly over here in Opera 9.50 with PulseAudio. How can you get better than perfect?

Dixon Bainbridge
June 27th, 2008, 09:34 PM
since i've been using opera 9.5, instead of firefox, i haven't had any flash craches.

Same here. Opera 9.50 works like a dream straight off the bat with flash. No more "lumpy" streaming on bbciplayer where it would hang whilst caching like I got with firefox3.

keiichidono
June 27th, 2008, 09:41 PM
I use Firefox and have no intention of switching to Opera so Flash is a problem for me. Since it seems that installing Flash 10 is easy enough i'll give it a go, i'll also put it a complaint to Adobe in their bug labs.

keiichidono
June 27th, 2008, 11:47 PM
I just installed and began to use Flash 10, i find it no better than Flash 9 at all. There is still tearing in my videos and it gets worse in fullscreen. I've also experienced some video stopping but it hasn't crashed Firefox so far, i'm going back to Flash 9.

Bastaard
June 27th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Using Flash 9 with FF3 and having no real problems. There's the occasional crash (restart FF -> restore session) and streaming video could be better responding, but no real trouble.

Flash 10 is coming and who knows maybe swfdec will be 100% compatible in the future.

keiichidono
June 28th, 2008, 12:33 AM
All i want from Adobe is to make flash work and work properly in Linux, why can't they do that. I don't ask to make it open source (though it would do a lot of good) all i ask is for something good. I'm pretty fed up with their crud.

Masoris
June 28th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Is the freezing/crashing gone in Beta 10? I've heard that it's pretty good and i'm willing to give it a shot.

My Adobe Flash Beta 10 still have crashing and freezing. Only difference is lower frequency.

cardinals_fan
June 28th, 2008, 02:21 AM
A shiny metal plate usually provides pretty good flash...

keiichidono
June 28th, 2008, 05:06 AM
But you can't use it to play web media...

|{urse
June 28th, 2008, 05:09 AM
Opera seems to be a lot more stable with flash.

http://www.opera.com/download/linux/

keiichidono
June 28th, 2008, 07:06 AM
But i seriously don't like Opera...I don't like just about everything about it....

hessiess
June 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
dont use flash, or install flashblock. Most flash is adverts anyway.

|{urse
June 28th, 2008, 07:59 PM
But i seriously don't like Opera...I don't like just about everything about it....

Neither do i. Closed source sucks.. They kind of remind me of Adobe (which you are apparrently wanting to use).

Fedz
June 28th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I'm not saying you're incompetent but, regarding FlashPlayer 10 (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html) did you first delete libflashplayer.so file in Home > .mozilla > plugins folder and unpack flashplayer 10 tar.gz > double click and run the enclosed installer in terminal?

The reason I say the above is because when I first put it on I just unpacked the flashplayer 10 archive file and copied and pasted over the one in the archive into the plugins mozilla folder and it caused crash after crash until I did the 'official' way :-)

keiichidono
June 28th, 2008, 10:14 PM
Whoops...i just followed what was on the TomBuntu site. Could you please tell me where i can find/give me the "official" instructions?

Fedz
June 28th, 2008, 10:36 PM
Not sure about the TomBuntu site but, the 'official' way according to adobe is delete the file first in .mozilla > plugins,

Unpack the flashplayer download and either via terminal type:
/home/NAME/Desktop/install_flash_player_10_linux/flashplayer-installer
(change NAME in above command to your desktop/laptop name) and hit enter and follow the terminal prompts OR
navigate to the unpacked flashplayer 10 download and double click the enclosed installer and click run from terminal when prompted.

Make sure all browsers are closed fully when performing the install of flashplayer 10.

Hope this helps :-)

RebounD11
June 28th, 2008, 10:52 PM

I love the quick dial, but hate it being incredibly slow (for me) and not working with several of the sites I visit (one of them being Yahoo! Mail... which rarely and briefly works).

Masoris
June 28th, 2008, 10:53 PM
I wonder how about newest Gnash 0.8.3? Is it so buggy yet?

keiichidono
June 29th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Not sure about the TomBuntu site but, the 'official' way according to adobe is delete the file first in .mozilla > plugins,

Unpack the flashplayer download and either via terminal type:
/home/NAME/Desktop/install_flash_player_10_linux/flashplayer-installer
(change NAME in above command to your desktop/laptop name) and hit enter and follow the terminal prompts OR
navigate to the unpacked flashplayer 10 download and double click the enclosed installer and click run from terminal when prompted.

Make sure all browsers are closed fully when performing the install of flashplayer 10.

Hope this helps :-)
The TomBuntu site told me to "sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-nonfree", that's the same as deleting the libflashplayer.so right? If it is, then i've already done it the right way.

I love the quick dial, but hate it being incredibly slow (for me) and not working with several of the sites I visit (one of them being Yahoo! Mail... which rarely and briefly works).
Firefox has a plugin for speed dial if you want. It's more customizable than the one in Opera.

|{urse
June 29th, 2008, 12:40 AM
well i followed this guide..

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/fix-for-firefox-crashes-on-flash-contents-when-using-libflashsupport-in-hardy.html

it seemed to help but i think all it did was disable flash.. ghey nvm.

Thelasko
June 30th, 2008, 10:01 PM
The OSS community is working on reverse engineering Flash. Sounds great, but Flash will change. Microsoft has realized people aren't satisfied with Adobe and they released Silverlight along with the OSS counterpart, Moonlight.

I know we have a lot of people working on these projects, but I think an open source competitor to Flash needs to be developed. I'm talking about an entire suite, not just a client. With the software currently developed, an interpreter can be written to convert Flash files into files that can be used by this new OSS. We need to develop our own standards, so everyone can benefit, and stop relying these closed source solutions that only cause more problems in the end.

Extreme Coder
June 30th, 2008, 10:22 PM
Some people should do some more research..
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ1Mg

keiichidono
July 1st, 2008, 03:22 AM
I just followed the guide in the multimedia forum on how to fix flash and it got much better with Flash 10, no more freezing or crashing but there's still some video tearing. Hopefully it will get fixed in the final.

Thelasko
July 1st, 2008, 05:22 PM
@Extreme Coder
I don't trust it. I think it's a trap.

Besides, I think the open source community can make a better product.

iheartubuntu
July 2nd, 2008, 07:37 PM
Neither do i. Closed source sucks.. They kind of remind me of Adobe (which you are apparrently wanting to use).

knuck knuck knuck! haha :)

PmDematagoda
July 2nd, 2008, 07:53 PM
Some people should do some more research..
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjQ1Mg

It won't do much, the Gnash people actually knew that specification before Adobe even released it, so that move by Adobe came a bit too late.

magnus0
July 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
I use Flash 10 and it hasn't crashed yet.

agurk
July 2nd, 2008, 11:16 PM
Flash 10 beta 2 is out: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html

dbsoundman
July 3rd, 2008, 04:08 AM
I started with flash 9, and my problem was after some time, youtube videos would only play 2 seconds at a time; I couldn't get any video to play through. I tried flash 10, and I had basically the same problem. However, I downloaded flash 10 and just moved the libflashplayer.so to /usr/bin/flashplugin-nonfree to overwrite the old one, as I was told by someone else. I did try running the installer actually by doing sudo sh (installer name), and it said that the plugin does not support 64-bit architecture...

Anyway, I have also tried Gnash, which didn't work at all (all I got was blank windows when I tried to play video), but swfdec did work on youtube. However, it doesn't work at all on other sites, including weather.com's "new" radar map. So now I'm back to Flash 10...I don't know which is worse.

-Dan

hanzomon4
July 3rd, 2008, 05:41 AM
Yeah it sucks that Linux gets the shaft when it comes to apps like flash. It only adds to the Desktop Linux's reputation as being buggy as hell and hard to use. Users will look at Flash on OSX and then look at it on Linux and think that Linux doesn't have it's **** together. Don't get me wrong Linux is imperfect on it's on but it really is as capable as the other two major OSs.

keiichidono
July 3rd, 2008, 10:29 AM
Flash 10 beta 2 is out: http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html
Thanks, i'll be sure to check it out for sure.

drascus
July 3rd, 2008, 12:08 PM
Well maybe if these companies released the specs on how to properly view this flash content then projects like Gnash would be more advanced. The annoying thing is that things aren't going to get better if the control is in the hands of the developers. They will only do enough to keep the complaints down. We need to demand that we get more control so we can help ourselves. We need to just tell Adobe that they need to free their code or we won't use their software anymore. It might be hard for a while. However in the end if enough users complain and stop using it we might pressure them to free their code. Then we will never have to worry about this issue again because we will have control over how it works under linux. Our developers are much better at understanding how these programs will perform under a linux environment. So please if you can go complain and then use Gnash. you can also play youtube videos in Totem with the youtube browser plugin. you can rip out embedded videos that don't play with the unplug plugin. I admit that not everything works in Gnash but if we can be strong now we can have our cake and eat it too in the future.

promodus
July 3rd, 2008, 12:12 PM
I was having flash problems where it would appear to work fine, then all flash would end up as gray boxes.

dpkg --purge nspluginwrapper flashplugin-nonfree
apt-get --reinstall install flashplugin-nonfree

Fixed the problem on my end.
Using 64bit ubuntu, I did the upgrade over top gutsy to hardy.

keiichidono
July 5th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Flash 10 beta 2 seems pretty alright, Flash 10 final should see some releif for us (finally, after all this time). Anyone having problems should check it out.

YaroMan86
July 5th, 2008, 05:20 AM
Flash 10 Beta is working pretty well for me. I hope that this means Adobe isn't shunning Linux anymore.

keiichidono
July 6th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Hopefully.....