PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] [SOLVED] How To Install Picasa?

Eric Qel-Droma
June 27th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Okay, so I want to do some basic photo editing, and I've heard good things about Picasa. (I'm not married to the idea of it or anything.) So I Googled it, but the instructions made it look very scary for a three-day newbie to try. It freaks me out at this point when software isn't available through my Applications --> Add/Remove menu.

Should I be worried about trying the instructions for the Debian stuff on the Google/Picasa install page? Could someone more experienced take a quick look at the instructions and tell me if I need to do anything differently?

This is my only computer at the moment and I am terrified that I'm going to break the system and have to reinstall everything.

FWIW, I'm trying hard to get better at the whole Linux-thing after 15 years of DOS/Windows. I appreciate you all bearing with me as I learn.

Thanks,

Eric

tamoneya
June 27th, 2008, 03:29 AM
google is awesome and has its own repositories. Follow the instructions on this page: http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ubuntu704.html and then you can go into package manager to add it.

Eric Qel-Droma
June 27th, 2008, 03:34 AM
google is awesome and has its own repositories. Follow the instructions on this page: http://www.google.com/linuxrepositories/ubuntu704.html and then you can go into package manager to add it.

Ooh, I'm so glad you posted this as I asked this earlier in the forums and got ZERO response. The page to which you've linked is for 7.04 and I'm running 8.04. Does that matter? Why or why not?

Thanks! :-)

tamoneya
June 27th, 2008, 03:50 AM
for the google repositories you will be okay. Sometimes it matters but in this case it doesnt. I realize they are older but they are still correct. Sorry you didnt get a great response last time I find the forums are typically very helpful it seems like bad luck to me.

Eric Qel-Droma
June 27th, 2008, 03:54 AM
for the google repositories you will be okay. Sometimes it matters but in this case it doesnt. I realize they are older but they are still correct. Sorry you didnt get a great response last time I find the forums are typically very helpful it seems like bad luck to me.

Is there any way to know when the old repositories won't work?

As far as the forum response, search for my "msttcorefonts won't install" thread. People were awesome, prompt, friendly, and patient. I'm so happy with this forum right now I don't know what to do.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Eric Qel-Droma
June 27th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Whoops, problem. When I go to download the key, I get a page of random code. How do I "save" this key?

tamoneya
June 27th, 2008, 04:08 AM
just right click save target as in firefox. then save it to your desktop. Then from synaptic you can say import key and point to the file on the desktop.

browny254
June 27th, 2008, 04:10 AM
right click and save as.

i saw this thread so i have gone and done it and it works fine for kubuntu 8.04, slightly different method but it worked so you will have no problem.

Dumpy Dumpster
July 4th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks tamoneya. Even I could follow your very clear instructions!
Much appreciated as Picasa is a great application.