PDA

View Full Version : what do you call your pc (domain or otherwise)?

richrock
June 26th, 2008, 11:47 PM
Do you refer to your machines as him or her? Do they have pet names, and do you get defensive over them?

EG - my main machine is called skynet, and I call my laptop five (after the cat from the userfriendly cartoon)...

Anyone have unusual names they call their pc's?

lisati
June 26th, 2008, 11:49 PM
My machines used to have "aspie" in their names and my neighbour's machine used to be "Gorilla". Please excuse me for a few minutes while I reinstate that tradition.....

Barrucadu
June 26th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I have a rather boring naming convention; My desktop is called bardesk and my laptop barlap. A combination of my username and the type of computer.
However, when I get my new laptop I shall be calling it archangel, as it will be running Arch, and it'll be more powerful than my current desktop and laptop put together.

Greyed
June 26th, 2008, 11:54 PM
My machines are named after the Endless from Neil Gaiman's Sandman series. The gateway is Potmos (as he read time and events unfolded), my machine is Morpheus (central character), laptop is Mania (she always changed personalities; the laptop changes IPs) and my leased VM server is Olethros (the personification of war and destruction; the open net is warfare). The only machine with a non-Endless name is my Palm/PocketPC. It is Matthew, a crow that spied for Morpheus. ;)

lisati
June 27th, 2008, 12:42 AM
My machines used to have "aspie" in their names and my neighbour's machine used to be "Gorilla". Please excuse me for a few minutes while I reinstate that tradition.....

My laptop is now portable-aspie, the *nix partion on my desktop is now upstairs-aspie (it's in a spare bedroom) and its Windows partition is xp-aspie. Now to tidy up the settings on the various bits - the old name for my desktop is still showing in places->network, (huh? WTF? and other mutterings, just a minor annoyance)

paul101
June 27th, 2008, 01:07 AM
i call my computer "blue" :)

wrtpeeps
June 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Pheonix. Cause I like it. :)

jpeddicord
June 27th, 2008, 01:29 AM
chunky - my laptop
crusty - my N800
crispy - my phone

See the meme on my network?
:lolflag:

Delever
June 27th, 2008, 01:41 AM
There is crab, oyster, gull, mice, worm, whale... (in my language). I like to give easy to remember names, which are funny in some way. For example, crab is the most powerful, worm is oldest and slowest, mice is laptop, whale is file server. You should see faces of guests when I am explaining my sister where to copy certain file.

LaRoza
June 27th, 2008, 02:48 AM
I have a more original way to refer to my computers:

Compaq Presario SR2180NX
Sony Vaio PCV-J100
Lenovo Thinkpad R61i
iBook G3 (Dual USB)

Lord Xeb
June 27th, 2008, 02:55 AM
Mine is Omnious but I have had others like Xebraethus etc... >_> Weird names I know but I do not care.

saborlas
June 27th, 2008, 02:58 AM
My computer is named "gilliam2."

Yes, I named it after the ship's computer from Outlaw Star. In case Ubuntu Sasuke to the left didn't clue you in, I like anime! ^_^

Ocxic
June 27th, 2008, 03:02 AM
mines name is xilti why cause its a random cool sounding name. pronounced zil-ti

misterhead
June 27th, 2008, 03:05 AM
I call mine a piece of crap, when I can't get it to do what I want. Which usually means I've screwed something up. But when in doubt... Blame the computer, right?

ladr0n
June 27th, 2008, 03:11 AM
Mine are named after scientists, for the most part.
HP Laptop: Feynman
Old Dell desktop: Fermi
Older HP desktop: Galileo
My flash drive: Avogadro
etc.

dinomite89
June 27th, 2008, 03:44 AM
My PC is Called RYU, Other PC is Called Akuma, Street Fighter FTW!!!!!

Out.

etnlIcarus
June 27th, 2008, 05:08 AM
I just call it xubuntu-box in a defiant act of originality. My login is Icaria, though.

zmjjmz
June 27th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Blokhmen is my Macbook,
Esteguan is my T20
Oofleschmoop is my 560
Siplebop, Eckle, Zileo, Zalaf, Nesuro, and Ezlekraz are all eTower 400i's
Clipafa is a custom 586 box, and so is Nettlewark.
Zitrak is my Packard Bell 820, and Astuguor is my Compaq Presario 5070.
These names are totally random and are weirder than Lord Xeb's.

FranMichaels
June 27th, 2008, 08:17 AM
My laptop is called Mnemosyne (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mnemosyne)

Works on many levels ;)

renzokuken
June 27th, 2008, 12:01 PM
heres all mine......spot the theme

Laptop - nibelheim
Desktop - jenova
Uni Research group Computers - Ifrit, Bahamut, Shiva, Gilgamesh, Diablo etc
Domain Controller/Server - deepthought (previous sysadmin had it called that so i didnt bother chagning it)

-grubby
June 27th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Main Desktop Computer - Linda
Server - Betty

Jim!
June 27th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I don't really call my computer anything, I sometimes refer to it as "the VAIO"............But thats probably because It's a Sony Vaio Laptop unless..........

Barrucadu
June 27th, 2008, 12:19 PM
This thread convinced me to think of more imaginative names for my current desktop and laptop. Say hello to seraphim and cherubim!

etnlIcarus
June 27th, 2008, 02:24 PM
This thread convinced me to think of more imaginative names for my current desktop and laptop. Say hello to seraphim and cherubim!
This thread convinced me people think too much of their computers. I'm going to stick with the utility of xubuntu-box over some unique name I just made up.

overdrank
June 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Sony Vaio PCV-J100

:p

aeiah
June 27th, 2008, 03:05 PM
main computer is called livingroom
2nd computer is called bedroom
computer in case of disaster: cuntshit

i was angry when i set up the disaster pc. im sure you can guess where in my apartment the other two computers are.

chochem
June 27th, 2008, 03:43 PM
Since adopting linux, mine's always been called BENWAY after the doctor from 'Naked Lunch':

Benway is a manipulator and coordinator of symbol systems, an expert on all phases of interrogation, brainwashing and control. I have not seen Benway since his precipitate departure from Annexia where his assignment had been T.D. - Total Demoralization. Benway's first act was to abolish concentration camps, mass arrest, and except under certain limited and special ciurcumstances, the use of torture.

"I deplore brutality," he said. "It's not efficient. On the other hand, prolonged mistreatment, short of physical violence, gives rise, when skilfully applied, to anxiety and a feeling of special guilt. A few rules or rather guiding principles are to be kept in mind. The subject must not realize that the mistreatment is a deliberate attack of an antihuman enemy on his personal identity. He must be made to feel that he deserves any treatment he receives because there is something (never specified) horribly wrong with him. The naked need of the control addicts must be decently covered by an arbitrary and intricate bureaucracy so that the subject cannot contact his enemy direct.

Anoblejlw
June 27th, 2008, 05:35 PM
Multivac

elmer_42
June 27th, 2008, 06:07 PM
With the building of my first PC, I have started in the tradition of naming all of my PCs after the Mariner series of space probes. This one is Mariner, the next one will be MarinerII, then MarinerIII, etcetera. I chose these probes because, as far as I know, Mariner IV was the first space probe to reach Mars intact and I find Mars fascinating.

spupy
June 27th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Allspark!

Or Localhost, if I forget to change the name. :)

mips
June 27th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Desktop: Obelix
Laptop: Asterix

Named after the cartoon characters Asterix & Obelix.

rliegh
June 27th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Main computer: "pacifica" after the main feature I was looking for in a PC when I bought it (virtualization extentions). Any OS I install on this gets called that.

I used to use nicknames based on their OS; variations on "Tux" for Linux, "beasty" for NetBSD or FreeBSD, "puffy" for OpenBSD and "belle" for OpenSolaris; I still use those for virtual machines.:)

tigrezno
June 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
My download server: Leecher
My desktop: Sparta

imbjr
June 27th, 2008, 09:52 PM
My computer's name would be meaningless to you, but I do call my external storage devices thusly:

MORBIUS - 350Gb FAT32 external hard drive
ALTAIRA - 8Gb FAT32 USB stick with a Hardy ISO on it.
OSTROW - 500Mb FAT32 external hard drive - recently acquired. Perhaps I should have called it ROBBIE - maybe next time.

starcannon
June 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
My hp laptop is affectionately called "DeeVee" (its a dv2600)

My Asus Eee is called "Mineee Pearl"

And my desktop is "Monster"

Barrucadu
June 27th, 2008, 09:57 PM
My desktop: Sparta

Is that just so when someone asks what your computer is you can say "THIS, IS, SPARTAAAAA!"? :popcorn:

Riffer
June 27th, 2008, 10:50 PM
stupid and stupid1

forger
June 27th, 2008, 11:03 PM
I call them stingy (a *really* cheap tower, local database server), sire (my personal server proxy - controls everything that it being sent or received from the internet) and junior (sire's dependant - the desktop :))

Mizzou_Engineer
June 27th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I have a very non-creative naming scheme. I name the computer after the code name of the processor inside. My desktop is named Manchester (socket 939 Athlon 64 X2 4200+), my laptop is named Merom (Core 2 Duo U7500), my girlfriend's Dell Latitude D531 is called Sherman (65 nm Mobile Sempron 3600+) and the old crappy laptop that is barely hanging in there as a MythTV frontend is called Northwood (Mobile Pentium 4-M.)

My domain is TUX-NET as that's the default workgroup name for Samba. It is pretty much true as there is only one non-Linux computer on the network- my girlfriend's laptop runs Vista. I know, I know. It would probably be easier to migrate her than others as she used to use all MS stuff on her old laptop (Office, IE, Windows Messenger, etc.) but I fixed her up with an OSS application stack on her new machine: OpenOffice.org, Thunderbird, Firefox, Pidgin, and the GIMP. She is doing just fine on that setup. I have an open offer out there to help her demo or install Linux if she ever is curious or runs into a big PITA with Vista.

solitaire
June 27th, 2008, 11:44 PM
My router is called 'jupiter'
laptop is called 'europa'
Ex-desktop was called 'callisto'
Mobile is called 'Io'
Got a small nas to store all my multimedia called 'monolith' (my god! It's full of stars.)

:):):)

AndyCooll
June 28th, 2008, 12:41 AM
My pc's and laptops are called snoopy, woodstock and pigpen.

My servers are both called "debian" as they're NSLU2's and running a cut down version of Debian and I can't remember being given an option to name them.

:cool:

paul101
June 28th, 2008, 12:46 AM
just looking at the printer on my uber complicated ******* / ubuntu network ( ie 2 computers :lolflag: )

Auto Epson stylus cx3600 on drugs

:lolflag:

cardinals_fan
June 28th, 2008, 01:02 AM
My main box is "echo" (awesome name, eh?). My ancient Dell is "Dell".

Dr Small
June 28th, 2008, 01:38 AM
My box is called "darkghost" for the new-shiny Sonata III case my Dad bought me. And then my Server's name is "mycroft" after Sherlock Holmes' elder brother.

The laptop is called "maymith".

klange
June 28th, 2008, 01:44 AM
My names aren't very original.
My laptop is "acerlaptop", my server/soon-to-be-ex-desktop is "ubuntuserver". My other box that I have at work is "ApacheServer" (Windows machine, last year I couldn't get Ubuntu on it because there were some kernel problems with the Mobo)